PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting

Axel Hildebrandt
01-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Photographed in a local field a few days ago. I'm having way too much fun with these guys, the only problem is that they are so skittish. :)

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/108530708/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1600s, f/8, EC +0.67, ISO 400

Judd Patterson
01-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Another fine looking Snow Bunting image Axel! The bird is looking right at you and the lighting is just right to highlight all the colors. They may be skittish, but your images show great technique to get close and capture some fine images. While the snowy surroundings are quite fitting, I do wish that there was someway you could include an extra element or two beyond the pure white to add some extra interest...probably just me on my little kick for birds in habitat! ;)

Doug Brown
01-31-2009, 01:00 AM
Nice eye contact, exposure, and sharpness Axel. I would be tempted to remove the bright OOF snow to the right of your copyright, as it tends to draw my eye away from the bird.

Juan Aragonés
01-31-2009, 02:56 AM
Whites are perfect, terrific exposure job Axel. The pose, head turn and eye contact of the bunting are fantastic. I really like this one and I an envious ;-)

Arthur Morris
01-31-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, they are alls so skittish that you are consistently creating perfect 75% of the frame portraits like this one. You can cry "skittish" only so often before folks stop believing that there is a wolf there!

Ramon M. Casares
01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Great one! Love the pose, ambient, colors, light and detail. Congratulaitons!

Keith Carver
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Axel, I'm also photographing snow buntings (don't have anything to compare to this ... yet) so I know what you mean about skittish. Congrats on another great image in this series. Superb color, detail, pose, and the BG is true to the bird.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, they are alls so skittish that you are consistently creating perfect 75% of the frame portraits like this one. You can cry "skittish" only so often before folks stop believing that there is a wolf there!

I guess I'm not really convincing. :) Especially the longspurs are not very cooperative. If they hear the sound of the shutter, they are gone, especially if there is not much wind.