PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Shrike

John Blumenkamp
01-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Here is a capture of a Loggerhead I made out near the Great Salt Lake. This is a crop from a horizontal capture, and also some from the top... overall I was happy with the detail and able to bring out some of the additional details in the dark side of the face of this little guy who was givng me one good, long stare.

20D w/ 400 5.6L
1/180 f/5.6 iso200
w/ beanbag from car window

Thanks,
John

Axel Hildebrandt
01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I like the head-on perspective, perch and BG look good, too. I wish the grass in front of the perch were not there and would run NR on the BG.

Judd Patterson
01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey John, love the head's on pose of this shrike. It seems just a bit dark to my eyes and I think making it lighter will help the side-lighting pop just a bit more. It's interesting to see the slight reddish blush on the breast feathers...haven't notice that before on a shrike. Nice work!

Doug Brown
01-31-2009, 01:08 AM
I love the way the bird is looking right at you. The dark blue of the BG really compliments the bird. I like the grass to the right of the perch but not in front of the perch. Here's a repost with the stuff in front of the perch removed.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2009, 07:33 AM
Love the stare. Both OP and RP could be a bit lighter. Good job by Doug but I would lose all of the grasses... Nice and sharp and good job with the dark side of the face.

Mike Lentz
01-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Really a nice image of a Shrike. The stare and complimentary blue tones make the image for me. I agree with Artie on taking all the grasses out.

Juan Aragonés
01-31-2009, 02:08 PM
Another round of noise reduction would be great. The Bg is fantastic and dramatic and the sidelight works very fine, adding a touch of warm to the image. Fantastic pose of the shrike. I have to agree that the redish OOF grasses in the foreground are distracting but I like the contrast of the coopery grasses against the dark blue BG

Ramon M. Casares
01-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I like the RP as well as the OP, I'm not sure about getting rid of the OOF grasses ans the add some depth to the shot, it is all a metter of tastes at the end, right? Love hoy the bird seems to be staring at you. Congratualitons.