PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter Island Sunrise III

Harold Davis
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM
another from last saturday morning. the early consensus from friends is that it is good. something looks funky to me and i cant put my finger on it. anyone got any ideas?

eight shot HDR. +2 to -3. D300, 18-200VR at 35mm, f/8, 1/50s - 1/6400s, ISO 200.

thanks for looking and comments and critiques are appreciated.

Dave Leroy
01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't know Harold. I can't see anything starnge. Lots of texture in it, sand in foreground, beach and top of water soo.. noise?? Don't know other than perhaps a slight rotation req'd when i look at water horizon. Very nice photo and I really like how you captured the sun's rays. Well done and very nice. Dave

Roman Kurywczak
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Harold,
Added a bit of blue with color balnce to the scene overall and of course the big crop.........strenghtened the grasses more. I lightened them a bit more with a screen layer and boosted the contrast just a bit. final round of NR on the entire scene. I didn't clean up a few stray grasses.....that's your call. Don't be afraid to try this as a single shot.....then compare. BTW....the longer you expose....generally the colors become more saturated.......another reason to go to f16 and maybe ISO 100.

Judd Patterson
01-30-2009, 11:42 PM
A nice looking sunrise Harold...love the crepuscular rays! I like the included beach grasses on the right, but do wish that a higher tide or storm had been able to wipe the sand clean...those footprints everywhere are a distracting element for me. I would have stopped the lens down beyond f/8 to improve the DOF since you had such a high shutter speed. Also, was there perhaps another composition to be had that used more of the grasses and less sand to avoid some of the footprints?

Dave Mills
01-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi Harold.... You had a beautiful sunset! I like Roman's crop and the comp that was created. I agree with Judd about the footprints(which can be cloned out of the area on the right) and the use of a higher f stop...

Harold Davis
01-31-2009, 05:31 AM
i think it's the footprints that bother me the most. do you think that getting lower, like all the way, would have helped? the beach is uninteresting and the water is to a certain degree.

thanks for the replies. really appreciated!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey Harold,
Maybe getting lower would have worked or shooting through the grasses in the FG

Rich Ikerd
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Great capture of the sun's rays Harold. I think there's a bit too much foreground for the image (Roman's suggested crop is where I would start). Good job on balancing the sun and just enough detail in the foreground to give a great sense of reality.

Gus Cobos
01-31-2009, 07:49 PM
I like the color rendition Doctor...This feels good..I also like the cropped repost version...well done my friend..well done...It makes me want to go back on vacation...:D:cool:

Robert Amoruso
02-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Not sure if this would have been possible but getting into the grass and making that the FG and not the sand would have helped the foot print issue.