PDA

View Full Version : Mount Orford

Rene Quenneville
01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Here is a picture I took monday afternoon. It is an HDR of 2 frames 0.7EV apart. Snow is extremely difficult to expose, especialy in this mid day light condition.
What do you think about the composition?
Is the HDR effect too strong?

ISO 400
1/60 s
f/20
42mm

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Rene,

I think the HDR helped you to maintain a nice distribution of tones w/o looking like a special affect. AOK there. I like the FG snow and fence tones and gamma due to the strong sidelighting. I would like the see the BG mountains and sky a bit brighter and some of the middel ground trees in shadows opened up.

Comp looks good to me with the leading line of the fence and path. I like how you took it from right to extreme left but not out of the frame.

Harold Davis
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
nice composition, rene. i can see a slight halo on the horizon. wondering if you used the maximum light smoothing setting?

Roman Kurywczak
01-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Hi Rene,
Hmmm....I think the HDR worked out pretty well...but even though the fence adds a nice line to the mountains......the lighting is overall bland for my tastes. It would be interesting to see this scene again with more dramatic lighting or with the middle ground with more interesting foliage or more snow.....as now it seems overall blah! For me.....this is very nicely composed....I think the other elements are hurting you here.