PDA

View Full Version : Everglades Pineland

susanschermer
01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Was fortunate enough to have Paul Marcellini show me "his" Everglades. I think his Florida landscapes are unbeatable. This is an IR image from my converted 20-D. Green usually renders white in IR. The sawgrass renders white, but the pine needles do not. The sky wasn't exactly what I would have liked, but this is what I got. OK, Roman, what do you think of it?

Roman Kurywczak
01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey Susan,
Here goes......but you have to promise me that you'll answer on 5 other posts (BTW I replied to you on mine).......I'm a huge fan of the IR look and IMO you couldn't pick a better guide than Paul in the glades. This is one tough location for landscapes but I do like the way you isolated the palms and the pines. Now the questions.....did you darken the edges with a vignette??? I appears that you did because you are losing a bit of the right edge and the tree starts to blend in......no big deal.....as i often like the effect.....just lighten it a bit more overall....as it is a tad dark on my monitor. You can also try just lightening a bit just the pine tops.....as you achieved excellent seperation or probably easier and just as effective....darken the band of pines in the middle ground. compositionally.....this is excellent......just a few more PP tweaks to really make it stand out even more. I can now appreciate how tough the Fla. landscapes are......so you did very well!
Now go comment on a few more landscapes:D!

Dave Mills
01-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Susan... I took the liberty to lighten the image a bit so it stood out a bit more. I liked the image including the foreground and the sky. You selected a nice composition with alot of interest....

denise ippolito
01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Susan, I love it ! The IR really adds alot to this image-The combination of pine trees and sawgrass looks great.

Harold Davis
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
awesome compo! love dave's repost. only needs to straighten the horizon a little!

Kaushik Balakumar
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I think the IR/B&W really works well for this image. The main feature about this image are the patterns : patterns formed by clouds in sky & the patterns formed by the shrubs in the FG - which are indeed enhanced in the monotone presentation.

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2009, 07:54 AM
I agree with the others above.

Great composition Susan.

Not being a big fan of vignetting, I recommend that if you did it on purpose, undo it. If not, easy to correct for in PS.

susanschermer
01-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I am happy with Dave's repost. Robert, I did not vignette on purpose. I used no filters and did no correction. I think the 10-22 Canon lens does it. Anyway, in this case I can see fixing it, but I don't really mind it. There is not much of interest on the edges. Thanks everyone, for looking.

Grady Weed
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
What I really like here is the clouds and the palmetto palms draw the eye right in. I normally do not like IR. I think this image is an exception. Very nicely done Susan.

Judd Patterson
01-30-2009, 11:20 PM
This is cool! I especially like Dave's repost that takes advantage of the entire black to white spectrum (a must with B&W images in my opinion). The white saw palmettos are my favorite part of this image and they provide a very nice foreground for the pines. A little more sky in between the clouds would have been the perfect topping for my eyes, but I do like what you captured here. I'm sure you had a blast with Paul.

Bill Ferrier III
02-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Susan- may i ask who did the IR conversion for you? Thank you,

Bill Ferrier