PDA

View Full Version : Spruce Grouse (eastern sub-species)

Jeff Nadler
01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Needing a break from winter images, Canon 20D, 500mm F4, fill flash, Adirondack Mountains, NY. FYI, this breeding bird is in severe trouble in northern NY spruce-fir forests, down to a low number requiring re-introduction to keep it from vanishing.

Grady Weed
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
In my 20 years up here in Maine, I have only seen 4 of these, singularly, and photographed one in Baxter State Park 3 years ago. It was virtually invisible in the tree it was perched in.

You did exceptionally well just to get this. and as usual Jeff, splendidly done. Good eye contact, nice depth of field, yet not too deep, the subject stands out well enough. I do not mind the branch in back of the head, since this is exactly what you would see if it was in front of you. If someone were fortunate enough to see one in the first place. Good pose and great habitat image Jeff. Thanks for posting this one. I do not have any suggestions for improvement, unless you were able to get 2 of them in the same frame, maybe dancing a jig!

Jeff Nadler
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Grady, I will admit that these birds are so hard to find in NY, I accompanied the two key researchers of the NY Spruce Grouse project. They knew exactly where to look instead of my wandering across thousands of acres. This bird was completely wild, not radio-collared ,and was NOT called in with a recorded call so we definitely stumbled upon this male without expecting it. It was a black fly infested spruce swamp with my sneakers and ankles completely covered in muck via bushwacking, not a trail. My most difficult day in the woods ever. This bird did make it worth it. They later did find a radio collared bid as well.

Doug Brown
01-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Beautiful photo and an interesting story that goes along with it. I might add a bit of canvas on the right, and would try to blur the branch behind the bird's head just a little. Congrats on getting a great photo of a challenging bird!

Don Lacy
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Very nice image Jeff all the techs are right on and excellent use of habitat to tell the natural history of the bird.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-29-2009, 12:23 PM
What a great image and love the background history on this one. I love it as presented and the incredible eye contact makes this for me. Love it. Congratulations Jeff . I would be thrilled to just see one :)

Grace Scalzo
01-29-2009, 12:40 PM
An incredible photograph, Jeff, hard earned for your description. Perfect inclusion of habitat, nice perky pose, and great job on the techs. How did he react to you? Sure hope that the reintroduction is successful.

Tony Whitehead
01-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Fantastic capture and background story, Jeff. I think the dark OOF branches could easily be lightened to make them less visible and I would remove the double catchlight in the eye. A mild corner burn is also an option. Very well done.

Mark Schmitt
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
What a great bird: shame about the viability of it in NY. I think I agree with Judy. I'd change very little except the double catch-light, as already mentioned. Otherwise. Leave it.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
01-30-2009, 02:56 AM
A very eye catching shot, lovely detail and very natural setting, well done, I can imagine your elation on capturing such an elusive and rare bird.

Jon