PDA

View Full Version : Coal Tit

Jonathan Michael Ashton
01-29-2009, 06:24 AM
Canon 50D Canon f4L IS
ISO 250 1/250 sec @ f4

I am getting used to DPP and I am finding that despite not filling the histogram to the right the whites often appear to be burnt out (??) I have mixed feelings at present but I suppose I need to develop a little more expertise (come back Bridge all is forgiven!!)

All comments welcome
Jon

Daniel Cadieux
01-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Michael, the whites don't look burnt to me...I can still see some detail. If anything, it's the blacks that need to be opened up (see throat and forehead). Nice perch and BG. I know you want to include the arch, but I would possibly explore cropping the top anyhow as I feel the arch is too high and the rest of the perch is strong enough to hold its own.

Robert Amoruso
01-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Daniel brings up a good point on the perch. The top part is distracting because it is OOF. Besides cropping that out I would crop from the right too as that part of the branch is touch the edge. Better to have separation at that left edge and if not, then crop the branch out there too.

Super clean BG and good looking bird does not need all the extra perch elements.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks Daniel & Robert, I was a bit iffy about the top twig and on reflection I agree with you

Jon

Steve Maxson
01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
A nice sharp image of the bird and I love the lichen-covered perch, Jonathan. I agree that cropping from the top and left to remove the arch makes a very effective alternate comp. I think that the whole image could be a little brighter. Well done.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
A nice sharp image of the bird and I love the lichen-covered perch, Jonathan. I agree that cropping from the top and left to remove the arch makes a very effective alternate comp. I think that the whole image could be a little brighter. Well done.

Thanks Steve, I have been messing about and getting nowhere fast deciding weather to use Faithfull or Standard ot As Shot or Auto etc. I am puzzled in the RGB mode the histogram doesn't appear to be clipped and yet in the RGB mode it sometimes is. I have been tending to under expose a little and in this case I forgot to top up a little in Photoshop.

Jon