PDA

View Full Version : Blue-billed Duck

Leo Berzins
01-29-2009, 06:04 AM
A male Blue-billed Duck still wet from a recent dive. Found throughout south-eastern and south-western Australia, but not common.

First post. Don't be gentle, I'm here to learn.

Canon 40D, 400/f5.6L, 1/1250s, f8, ISO 400, handheld while lying flat
slight crop following a small rotation, S/H, levels etc. as per Digital Basics

Daniel Cadieux
01-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Welcome to BPN Leo, and a strong first post!! I'm not familiar with this species - love seeing new stuff. EXposure and sharpness look great, and the low angle is nice. I'm really searching hard to find something to improve...

Looking forward to more :-)

Robert Amoruso
01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Agree Daniel, strong first post. I would suggest in levels moving the mid-tones slider to raise the gamma (brightness) of the image to get more separation in the midtones. Shadows/Highlights could be used too just add back some mid-tone contrast when in S/H as a shadows adjustment there can flatten an image's tones.

Doug Brown
01-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Welcome to BPN Leo! A solid first post; technically excellent and a species that I'm not familiar with. If I were going to do anything to improve on this image I might clone out some of the imperfections in the water. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!

Don Lacy
01-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Welcome to BPN and a very nice first post.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Excellent first post Leo. I am yet to see one of these, and I have looked. :) Great job with techs and comp. If anything, tidy up the specks in the eye, as it appears to have three or even four catchlights though two are on the right rim and are most likely water droplets.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Welcome to BPN, Leo! Very nice first post, I like the details, angle, composition and head angle. The reflection is not ideal but there is not much you could have done about it. Keep them coming!

Simon Bennett
01-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Excellent image of a bird hard to get close to.

Leo Berzins
01-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Thankyou all for your warm welcome and encouraging comments. Particular thanks to Robert for suggesting mid-tones adjustment in levels.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
COMP, EXP, head angle, and sharpness are all excellent, so sorry, nothing for you to learn except that we want to see more great stuff. So welcome. I love that we have so many skilled folks from around the world here on BPN.