PDA

View Full Version : Peddling Petals

Ed Vatza
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
That's what I feel like I am doing here.

From last Sunday's visit to the orchid exhibit at Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, PA) and I must admit to having mixed feelings about this one. There are some aspects of it that I really like and some I'm not real keen on. But first, your thoughts?

Canon 50D; Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens; tripod-mounted.

1/3 sec @ f/22; ISO 200; 0 EV; AWB

Joseph Martines
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Seems like I got the same shot at the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta a week ago Sunday!!

I'm not good at PS but, I would try to take down the white in the center.

If you want to see how close to yours that I got try this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/martines34/AtlantaBotanicalGardensOrchids12709623PM#

I still like it!

denise ippolito
01-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi Ed, I like the colors ,I think if the center of the main orchid was over to the left a bit it would look better. I agree w/ Joseph about toning down that little bit of white. I do like the close up look.

Gus Cobos
01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Ed,
I'm afraid that this one does not do it for me...you have too many elements and not one strong focus point to lock in...as presented, I would have isolated the main flower and composed closer. the center should be to the upper right side of the frame...agree that the white portion should be toned down a bit...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mike Moats
01-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey Ed, I agree with Gus about to much going on. the focus seems soft around the edges which is strange as you list the f/stop at f/22.

Julie Kenward
01-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I liked the thumbnail so maybe this is more of a small print? I do think it lacks the DOF you normally achieve so it's not one of my favorites of yours but I do think it has possibilities in the comp.

Ed Vatza
01-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks all. Can't say that I disagree with anything you all have said.

What I really like here is the way all the petals from the several different flowers all overlap to create almost an abstract image. But there was something about this particular flower that just wouldn't come into focus, even at f/22. And I did try several different compositions. I'm not sure what the problem was but it was only with this plant.

Oh well, time to move on. Again thanks.

Anita Bower
02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Ed:

I find orchids, especially as they are growing at Longwood, incredibly difficult to photograph successfully. It is almost impossible to isolate one orchid or one part of an orchid.

Joseph Martines
02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
The Atlanta Botanical Gardens offer a wonderful display of orchids. The middle of the week has fewer visitors.

There is such an abundance of orchids that it is truly difficult to acquire a satisfactory angle on a given flower. I think that you have to take a group with the intention of cropping a specific orchid in the group.

I've tried playing with tubes and haven't gotten the hang of them just yet. I prefer a dedicated macro lens.

Joseph Martines
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Ed:

You might enjoy the book "THe Ultimate Orchid by Thomas Sheehan."

A hard covered book excellent for orchid identification and orchid presentation.

Bought it through Amazon for $ 10.98 plus shipping. Cheap at twice the price. Some places wanted $ 90.00.