PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Dove

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Streptopelia chinensis is an introduced species and not necessarily looked upon favorably by hardcore birding people in Australia. Although, I don't mind them as they seem to be rather shy and not as destructive as other introduced species. I actually find them rather attractive in their own way. I deliberately framed this way to not show the fence top. Cropped only a little from the full frame.

Captured on top of our fence at home late Sunday afteroon. I am not sure if you think there is a bit of a pink cast and maybe I should have applied some more sharpening. I used my first Quick Masks on the top right corner to cover some clear sky.

30D, 300/4L IS and 1.4x. No metadata at present; aperture was around f/5.6 or 8. Will add later. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3227675303_c7a436d040_o.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
01-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I like the details, soft light and eye contact and might blur the BG some more. I would also clone out the bright line next to the catchlight.

Robert Amoruso
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Akos,

I tried some sharpening (USM 175/0.3/0 and 125/0.2/0) and reposted. I thought of blurring the BG too as Axel suggests but I really like it as is. Has a nice Modern Art look to it. I like the crop and composition and with the diagonal of the bird coming in from a corner - you did well witih the close-up.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I like Robert's repost and would only remove the line next to the catchlight that I mentioned earlier.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Guys,

That looks way better! Thanks so much! Good point about that line too Axel! :)

Steve Maxson
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
I think Robert's repost is a big improvement in color and sharpness, Akos. I wasn't sure that I liked the crop at first, but it's growing on me. I like all the subtle colors in the bird. Your Quick Mask looks seamless.

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Akos, if I am not asking too much I would like to see a version between your image and Robert's image. I find his repost too bright for may taste, and I find yours a bit soft. I agree about removing the white line on the eye.

Even if it is a ''dirt bird'' (as Arthur call the common spp.) this is one that I would like to see! Nice crop.