PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Paradise Divide (appropriately named location)

Phil Ginn
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.ourphotographicjourneys.com/Forums/_MG_2041.jpg

This image is from our trip to Colorado last summer. Jo had to set her camera up about six inches above the ground in order to see this reflection. This image was taken well before the sun actually rose and the cloud was just beginning to illuminate.

At the time the foreground was still very dark and when processing images such as this I struggle with how much to lighten the foreground. We enjoy the details of the foreground but don’t want the image to look like it was taken at noon. We feel like this is pretty close to what we remember but would like to hear others suggestions on how they handle these types of pre-sunrise images.

The image was taken at 11mm, 2 seconds, f22, ISO100. We would appreciate your thoughts on improvements. Thanks Jo and Phil<O:p</O:p

Roman Kurywczak
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey Phil & Jo,
Looks good to me. If you lighten the FG more.....it would start to look unnatural....as the reflection is always darker than the subject as we see it. I always use my grad split ND's in such situations...but your PP work seemed to do very well. I may crop off the bottom.....just above the rock in the LR corner as for me.....it gives the grasses a bit nicer leading line angle.....but we'll see what others chime in. Very nicely composed and exposed.

Robert Amoruso
01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I think Roman captured my thoughts well on this one.

Rene Quenneville
01-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, Roman's advice is what I would also do. Beautiful image.

Rich Ikerd
01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Wonderful colors Phil. Roman's suggestions are spot on from my view as well. Good job on balancing just the right amount of light/detail in the foreground - not always an easy task on pre-sunrise images.