PDA

View Full Version : Common Buckeye Photo

D.J. McNeil
01-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey, I'm DJ McNeil, and I've never posted before and I am a new bird photographer as of 1 year ago. I, uh took this shot at my high school in September of '07. I obviously realize that this is not a bird, but I thought I'd post it anyway!

I took it with a Canon Rebel XTi, 100-400mm telephoto lens... I don't know whatelse I'm supposed to include here.... heh heh

I'm 17 years old, but hit me with some good criticism, since I want to get better!

Norman Pyett
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi DJ, The shot is very good. You've used the rule of thirds well & the branch in the bottom right side leeps the from venturing away from the subject. Good color.
Norm

Alfred Forns
01-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi JD glad you are posting Will be fun !!!

Might want to take advantage of the posting size of 800 pixels Will be better to see your work

For most subjects is better to have them facing the camera Out of focus elements in front and prominent will always detract from the image Take your time and catch the Bfly in a good perch

I like the placement in frame and exposure Keep taking working and you will be rewarded !!!!

Judd Patterson
01-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Welcome DJ! I've always loved buckeye butterflies...very cool with the big eye spots on the wings. I wish that we could see a bit more of the second pair of wings (fore and hind wings), perhaps with less of the out of focus flower in the way as well. You might also work to reduce the color cast a bit...notice that the white flowers have a weak blue tint to them? Most of your colors would improve with the blue tint toned down some. Great start here. Hope to see more of your work whether its birds or butterflies (or something else).