PDA

View Full Version : Dive Bombers

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
This flock of dive bombing Snowy Egrets was headed for a small pond filled with spoonbills, more snowies, Great Egrets, and Glossy Ibises at Merritt Island NWR-Black Point Drive.

I was just about all the way around the tour loop and thought I was headed for home until I came upon the small pond mentioned above....

This small flock was photographed with the handheld Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400: 1/1600 at f/8, my standard white bird in sun exposure was set manually. 45 point AAFPS worked perfecly here. To increase the appearance sharpness I darkened each pupil with a QM and ran a contrast masks on all the heads after painting them with a QM.

Don't be shy. Would love to see some member comments! Our moderators are doing most of the work.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Hope you don't mind a forum contributor comment. :D

I like it Artie. :) The sense of motion and anticipation of the hunt are well conveyed. I hope you have more of the sequence and will post another image or two. If you would be kind enough to explain what a contrast mask is and why you would want to make the image 'appear' sharper. Was it not sharp originally? Or is that a web presentation requirement with certain types of images?

Steve Maxson
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM
A very interesting image from a behavioral standpoint, Artie. I don't think I've seen this dive-bombing flight pattern in egrets before (maybe I just need to spend more time in FL). From a photographic standpoint, the image is well composed, the exposure is right on, and all the birds are sharp. The clouds also add an element of interest. Well done.

Mike Tracy
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
I think this is one of those images that lends itself to being viewed in a larger size. I like how you can see the bright orange feet on most of them. Wish there was more separation between the two on the right.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi Akos,

re:

Hope you don't mind a forum contributor comment. :D

Love those too but would love your membership support even more.

I like it Artie. :) The sense of motion and anticipation of the hunt are well conveyed.

They were just hunting for a place to land.

I hope you have more of the sequence and will post another image or two.

I have two more that are similar that I have not processed yet.

If you would be kind enough to explain what a contrast mask is

Unsharp Mask at 15/65/1 (or thereabouts). I believe that Robert Amoruso calls is local enhanced contrast (or something like that) and has posted a tutorial somewhere...

and why you would want to make the image 'appear' sharper. Was it not sharp originally?

All images that come out of digital cameras are inherently unsharp as compared to film so I often use a contrast mask selectively before running my JPEG action (during which the image is sharpened further). The original was marginally sharp--the birds were rocking!

Or is that a web presentation requirement with certain types of images?

I often use a contrast mask (via a QM) to selectively sharpen part or parts of an image, usually the head and face. I do that to the optimized master file. The beauty of the contrast mask is that when the image is sharpened for final use after sizing the previously sharpened area will not look over sharpened as the CM is not true sharpening, just a small boost in contrast that increases apparent sharpness. At least that is my understanding.

Heck, that explanation alone is worth $20.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
A very interesting image from a behavioral standpoint, Artie. I don't think I've seen this dive-bombing flight pattern in egrets before (maybe I just need to spend more time in FL). From a photographic standpoint, the image is well composed, the exposure is right on, and all the birds are sharp. The clouds also add an element of interest. Well done.

I've seen it with egrets and spoonbills and ibises before but it is most reminiscent of Ross' Geese on the way in. Some of them actually turn upside down while maneuvering.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Heck, that explanation alone is worth $20.

Thanks heaps Artie,

Sorry, I didn't mean the sharpening question to sound silly. I know that all RAW images need sharpening. Just wondered about the 'extra' punch, and it all made sense. Thanks again.

I guess the time I spent reading the proposed BAA Australia IPT itinerary and offering suggestions etc was easily worth as much as your above explanation. :D

So now we are even perhaps? ;)

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Akos, Did not mean to get your dander up, just to point out that the owners and mods are doing a ton of work here and that everyone's membership support would be greatly appreciated.

I do appreciate all of the help that you gave me with the proposed Aussie trip and thanked you each time that I responded. Yeah, we are even.

Now if I had received equal value for all of the help that I have given folks for the past 20 years now that would be a good deal.

If you think about it, $20 is not much to ask for for a year's worth of fun and instruction for folks who own lenses and cameras that cost thousands...

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey Artie

My comment was merely tongue-in-cheek and naturally, I was only too happy to be of help to you. :)

Arthur Morris
01-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Hey Artie

My comment was merely tongue-in-cheek and naturally, I was only too happy to be of help to you. :)

Hey Akos, I am glad for that.

Ramon M. Casares
01-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Love the action and moment captured Arthur, IMO this type of images really show their best when their are seen larger. Congratulations!

Mark Schmitt
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
For me the clouds in the BG add dimension to the image. I am not a fan of flat, even dimensionless skies. I might have been tempted to create a mask of the BG and clouds, reverse it to exclude the birds and then create an adjustment layer to bring just a little more contrast in the clouds using curves: just to punch it up a little more. The over-all composition is an eye catcher. Like it. ;-)

Arthur Morris
01-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I always seem to forget about the skies. (Ask Roman.) IAC, the repost is certainly different and I think that it is an improvement. I also worked at creating a less funky blue.

Thanks again. :):):)

Arthur Morris
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I think this is one of those images that lends itself to being viewed in a larger size. I like how you can see the bright orange feet on most of them. Wish there was more separation between the two on the right.

Hi Mike, Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. Actually, I think that the two partially merged birds are a big plus as the anchor the image at the rule of thirds position and, in addition, the heads are not obstructed.