PDA

View Full Version : Bad hair day!

Rich Reich
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I tried to create an image that made eye contact and grabbed the viewer. This snowy egret was shot at 8:52 AM in Naples, FL. The sky was a bit cloudy.

D200 with 80-400m zoom
1/500 sec, f/5.3, -1/3 stop adjustment, ISO 800
345mm

Rich

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Nice hair-do but a somewhat distracting BKGR and a huge blue cast. I used Robert O'Tooles killer Average Blur Color Balance trick to correct that. (The trick will be in the next Digital Basics update that is coming soon. (It is slated to be in APTATS II but I have gotten tired of waiting for Robert to finish that one.)

In addition I cleaned up the whites in Selective Color.

Dave Phillips
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
good catch on the hair/crown Rich.
I think the shade white balance may be a bit off here, but often shade
does naturally give a blue cast with white.

Here is a version with a wb change via curves points
You may or may not see an improvement, just a suggestion.
Also the noise in underexposed bg is to be dealt with

edit: sorry Artie, we cross posted

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Dave's white's are much cleaner and brighter than mine. Way to go Dave.

Rich Reich
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I had boosted the vibrance and saturation in Lightroom. My WB was set to daylight. After I got your comments I tried changing the WB to shade and it pretty much matches your correction (my source file is in RAW). Almost everyday down here (Naples, FL) for the first hour or two past sunrise the skies are not clear. Once they clear up, which they do almost every day, they are mostly cloudless and clear blue. But when I took this everything was cloudy. I tried the "cloudy" white balance adjustment but the whites weren't as pure as your image.

Thanks for the fix.

Rich

Rich

Art Kornienko
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Dave did a nice job of adjusting the whites, I find the vertical bg stipe on the left distracting.