PDA

View Full Version : A Minute of Movement

Paul Marcellini
01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Shooting down on Bahia Honda the other day. It was a bit overcast so I tried the 10 stop nd with polarizer for a 72s exposure.

I really wanted to emphasize the light blues and beautiful water. The long exposure smoothed out the waves and glare and let the beautiful colors come through.

50d, 10-22@10mm f11 iso100 72s 10 stop nd polarizer

Harold Davis
01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
wow! love the pastels. the smooth water is awesome. very nice!!!

Dave Mills
01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Paul..I love the soft flow of the water ( that 10 stop did the trick) and the effect it created. The colors are soft and pleasing. I like the symetry in the rocks pointing you out to vast emptiness of the sea. The only thing I would try and change is the cut rock on the left side. If it was brought over to the right a bit and not cut, to my eye it would help the image. A small nit would be cropping a little bit off the top making the green 2/3 and the blue 1/3rd of the image... Creative image!!!

Paul Marcellini
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys. Dave no way not to cut a rock in this one. Its a big rock, maybe 2-3 feet front to back and if I back up to get a bit more of the left rock, I get the unsightly wrack line. If i move left, I cut the right one. This was the best compromise.

denise ippolito
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Paul, This is outstanding-I love the pastel colors, The water is amazing!

Robert Amoruso
01-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys. Dave no way not to cut a rock in this one. Its a big rock, maybe 2-3 feet front to back and if I back up to get a bit more of the left rock, I get the unsightly wrack line. If i move left, I cut the right one. This was the best compromise.

You could clone out that rock. Would give you a nice double diagonal from the other ones.

My kind of image.

Marina Scarr
01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Love the moodiness and pastels of this shot. Agree with the rock. I would QM it out for an even more powerful image. This is truly breathtaking.

Roman Kurywczak
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey Paul,
gotta' love that 10 stop ND.....this is where it shines! First the rock....yes preference is for clone/QM........as it would probably strenghten the image even more but as strong as this is right now.....not really necessary.
Now I see what you were saying about working on the soft color stuff (didn't say c***)! Nicely done again!

Fabs Forns
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I love as presented. Designer and artist cut elements on purpose (maybe they just run out of canvas or paper LOL), and cloning such a big element would seem a bit radical to me. As a matter of fact, the cut rock does not detract, to my taste.

James Shadle
01-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Paul,
I like it just as it is. Of course in a perfect world we would have the best focal length and angles to work with.
Many time photography is about compromises. IMO you chose your compromise well.

I'm not a big fan of cloning (old school). If one cut off rock bothered you, how do feel about two?

Sweet image.

James

Bogdan Coltea
01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I like it very much as presented. The atmosphere and colors are really beautiful.
Well done!

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Paul,
I like it just as it is. Of course in a perfect world we would have the best focal length and angles to work with.
Many time photography is about compromises. IMO you chose your compromise well.

I'm not a big fan of cloning (old school). If one cut off rock bothered you, how do feel about two?

Sweet image.

James

I'm liking it James... this does present a viable option IMO as it does balance the cut rock. Why didn't I think of that???

Rene Quenneville
01-27-2009, 12:34 PM
I prefer the first crop with only one cut rock, no cloning. The overall composition is very apealing. I like it a lot.

Hazel Grant
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Cloning the rock would be difficult and it would leave a very large blank area in the left lower corner....sometimes having items go off the edge helps the eye wander off too and that can be a good thing....not too confining. Good job

susanschermer
01-29-2009, 05:07 PM
It's amazing what you do with the simplest scene. The filter makes the water look ethereal. I love the soft colors and the composition. I just ordered a 9-stop ND filter. You have a copycat.