PDA

View Full Version : Dall's ram

Milo Burcham
01-21-2008, 10:13 PM
This image is from Denali this past fall

EOS 5D. 300/2.8. ISO 400

Dan O'Leary
01-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow. That guy knows how to live. If it were my photograph it would be hanging on the wall. That says it all for me. Beautiful colors. Just great.

ps - I don't have any of my own photos on the wall, just yet. ;-)

Paul Merritt
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Milo that is an excellent image of a really beautiful animal. Great job.

David Kennedy
01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Milo,
I would consider making a crop that creates a more intimate view of the ram. This suggestion below eliminates the problem of the ram coming in half-way down the frame.

The head angle and soft light are both very pleasing in this image. Lightening the shadow areas on the left side of the ram might also improve upon the image you have created here.

DanWalters
01-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Great shot! The soft light really brings out the colors. Nice comp also.

Ritul
01-22-2008, 02:56 AM
I like the original uncropped version. It gives a feel of space and distance of the BG, plus a nice colour. The red flowers in the foreground add colours to the image with a white subject. I may be wrong, but its what I feel. Fabulous image and a nice specimen!

John Cooper
01-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Hi Milo - A nice capture here, but I must admit I like the repost by David - the result has been to strengthen the composition and brighten the colours resulting in greater impact.

Dave Courtenay
01-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Definantly the original image for me-shows that the animal in its habitat better-crop looks too cramped-you could crop the top to get rid of the light area top left-very nice as is

Dave

D. Robert Franz
01-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Excellent image Milo.. I really like the OOF FG colors that are replicated in a subtle way in your BG. Davids crop is nice but it's a completely different feeling image. I prefer it a s presented.

BillPelzmann
01-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Wonderful portrait. I like how you posed the subject.:D

I prefer David's crop. The light area in the upper left is distracting so, a lesser crop, or just cloning that area out, could also be considered.

Stephen Stephen
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Beautiful image here Milo. I love the OOF fore and backgrounds while the sheep is crisply in focus. I'm not sure which version I prefer but I know that I wish this was my image. Well done!

John Ippolito
01-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Lovely image Milo. I prefer the feel of the ram's habitat in the original presentation. Exposure, saturation and pose all make for an elegant portrait.

Paul Fusco
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Fantastic image, Milo.
The original comp is much better to me, as it includes a grander environment.

- Paul

tim vaclavek
01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
This is a outstanding image of a outstanding ram, they don't get much bigger than this. I like the cropped version best, but if I was going to submit it for publication I would go with the image as posted
Tim

Christof Ruch
01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Wonderful, definitely got my attention immediately! Great colors, and I opt for the original version :-)

Milo Burcham
01-24-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I think the crop makes a strong photo as well. The original is posted uncropped so I have plenty of pixels to play around with. When originally shooting this ram, I was at f/8 and even tried f/16 to get more depth. I am so glad I tried wide open as it really created a unique looking photograph... I was pleasantly surprised how it looked, especially sice there was little difference between the f/8 and f/16 images. The other element that I really like is when a sheep (or other ungulate) throws its front leg out when bedded. It gives a really relaxed look.

Georgina Salup
01-24-2008, 07:11 AM
The cropped version is extraordinary. Beautiful subject in a perfect setting. Congratulations.

Arthur Morris
01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey Milo, Way to go. Both versions have their strenghts. I like both of them. And as you know, I have long been advising "wide open and focus on the eye."
That worked quite well here. Later and love, artie

Fabs Forns
01-26-2008, 09:16 PM
I'd never get tired of seeing this one!

Phil Colla
01-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Milo, this is super. The layering, with stuff extending from near to distant, is effective. I think the foreground out-of-focus works well to help frame the face, and that striking red color is a strong point. Well done.

John Obenaus
01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Ah! That cover shot again :) Still as nice as ever!