PDA

View Full Version : Interesting, or distracting? (or both!)

Daniel Cadieux
01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Pine Siskins from backyard feeder set-up + blind. I have mixed feelings about this one...but it more often sways on the positive side of things. It was an accidental capture as the far bird took off just as I pressed the shutter. If the wing wasn't on a full upswing I probably would have trashed it...but as is I like it extending behind the head and the yellow inner winger colour. About 75% full frame - cropped top ad right. No more room at bottom.

40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, eval metering, 1/200s., f/6.3, ISO 640, +1 EC, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_PineSiskin_3997-01.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
I actually like the bird in the BG and only wish you had more room at the bottom.

Rene Quenneville
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Tough to say Daniel, I am as puzzled as you are. I like the mood. The bird to the right seems to be in deep thoughts while the fellow behind is fooling around. The image grows on me.

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-24-2009, 09:02 PM
This image is interesting, at least, for me, since it looks as the birds' soul is leaving, yes, I know it sounds weird but it was the first impression that I got after seen it.
I am not too sure about keeping the blurred bird in the image. I might sat the greens a bit.

Edward Fisher
01-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Interesting image, but FWIW I find the OOF bird distracting.

Doug Brown
01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
The OOF bird doesn't bother me, but I would like some eye contact with the subject bird. I'd also like to see some room at the bottom of the frame.

Brandon Holden
01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
If this is the only photo you have of Pine Siskin.. It might be distracting..

If you have lots of pictures of Pine Siskin... then its a very interesting addition to the collection!

Thats the way I usually look at these things~! And btw, I like it!

Glenda Simmons
01-24-2009, 10:41 PM
A little different....but as you say, interesting. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Juan Aragonés
01-25-2009, 03:42 AM
It works for me Daniel, in fact I like it a lot. I only wish for more room at the bottom, as Axel pointed out.

Norm Dulak
01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
The oof bird in the bkg shows that the primary subject is not alone in the world. Still, the beauty of the main subject might arguably be enhanced without the bkg bird.

A quick and dirty repost is provided here for consideration of the viewers of these images. I'd crop more from the left side but didn't want to disturb Daniel's identifying mark, or put in the extra effort to move it.

What do you think?

Norm Dulak

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
No way Jose. The version with the angel in the BKGR is far superior for me. I'm with Axel in wishing simply for more room at the bottom of the frame.... In the repost, you boosted the contrast to unpleasant levels.

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2009, 04:03 PM
In the repost, you boosted the contrast to unpleasant levels.

Not me Artie!! Norm's repost is indeed too much contrast-wise. I appreciate the effort in eliminating the OOF bird...good job on that. But seeing that I have many original good ones with only one individual I will not go to the trouble cloning that one out:).

Norm Dulak
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
It's all a matter of taste, and I simply provided an alternative for consideration. As for boosting the contrast to unpleasant levels, the suggestion was made above to saturate the greens a bit, and that's what was done here.

No one is suggesting that the repost is better; it was provided merely to show specifically what the alternative would look like. The strong reaction that the repost elicited seems unwarranted.

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Norm, I actually like the cloning job you did...I didn't think there was enough BG around to borrow pixels from to do a good job but you proved that yes it can be done - it is certainly a viable option. As for the saturation, I'm curious what method you used as the contrast has indeed been boosted alot. Thanks again, and I really do appreciate the effort you put into the repost.

Norm Dulak
01-26-2009, 07:14 PM
Daniel:

I dragged a copy of your original post onto my mac desktop and opened it in PS CS3. Using hue/saturation, I selected the green channel and increased the saturation. I reset the image as a web jpeg, sharpened a bit using smart sharpen, and sent the repost.

I'm truly sorry that the contrast of the repost has somehow become a key issue, since my sole purpose was to enhance the greens and remove the background bird. I thought that image could make a worthwhile contribution to the discussion of your interesting image.

It's unfortunate that derogatory comments had to be made about my effort, although they most certainly were not made by you. Your comments and original image are greatly appreciated.

Norm Dulak

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Norm, Norm, Norm. It is a good idea not to take things to peronally, especially since my "to unpleasant levels" comments were directed at Daniel, not at you--I thought that the repost was his. IAC, the only one with whomm the increased contrast become a "key issue" is you (by your choice).

As for my comments being derogatory, that is again your perception. You might find some peace at www.thework.com (http://www.thework.com) I did. No offense at all was intended. I was just stating my opinion honestly and as gently as possible.