PDA

View Full Version : Mergansers, Fish and Gulls (this morning)

Brandon Holden
01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.peregrineprints.com/NSN/RBmee.jpg
1DM2n, 600mm.. ISO 320,, 1/3200, F 5.0.. Small bit cropped off the bottom and the right side.

I spent the morning photographing ducks! But when the wind picked up, I decided to try for something new (since there was a chop on the water). I spent an hour letting a group of Mergs get used to my presence, and eventually they started feeding close to me. This also got the attention of some gulls, which were trying to steal the large fish they had a hard time swallowing.

It was tough shooting, with little time to react. The mass of birds would go into a few seconds of frenzy until someone swallowed the fish. I didnt end up with many good shots (often focused on water drops or different birds), but after a few hours (and frozen fingers) I managed a few!

Just currious to see if you like it or not!

All the best,

Brandon

Axel Hildebrandt
01-24-2009, 05:10 PM
It doesn't look as if the merganser is having a lot of fun there. :) I like the interaction, splash and details and wish the head of the gull in the middle were not cropped.

Daniel Cadieux
01-24-2009, 05:20 PM
The action is very nice, and intense. Like Axel I wish the top gull's head wasn't clipped. I find it interesting how every single bird here has their bill open. I can relate about the frozen fingers part...

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Agree with the above comments but love the incredible action you captured in this image. Many thanks for sharing Brandon.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
The best thing about this image is that the sharpest focus is on the merg. The worst thing about it has been noted above by Axel and Daniel.