PDA

View Full Version : Red-Headed Barbet

Michelle C. Battista
01-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I posted this little guy because I took a picture of him in Costa Rica last Feb. when I was in Poas. In the last two weeks there has been an earth quake that has total wiped out were I took this picture. The road no longer is there. Because of this I was hoping to see what I could do for the picture to make it look better. I was looking at the ISO and I shot it in 800 I can't believe I did that, but I guess that's how you learn. Also the background is way to busy. What would you do to help with this picture? I look forward to the C&C's. Thanks MCB

F 5.6, S100, ISO800, 200-400VR4.0, with 1.4 converter, on tripod, Focal lenght 280.

Gus Hallgren
01-24-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi Michelle

Lovely capture, like natural envirenment, and would like to keep most of it. Here's a little different crop that I like. Maybe remove the extra whitish perch?

I personally would like to get more opinions before attempting any removal as I love the colours & branches.

I had read the news about the earthquake.

Thanks for sharing your nice photo

Uncle Gus

Alfred Forns
01-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Hi Michelle Glad you went to 800 ISO anything less would have been problematic and don't hesitate to go even higher .... noise looks better than blur !!!

I like the overall setting which is difficult with these guys, they really hide. With these birds will concentrate on getting them all in the shade or sun (unlikely) anything except mixed light. Using flash will help with a catch light and brightening. Might work on the eye to make it more visible. Do like it a lot.

Gus glad you brought up the branch removal. I think the bg looks fine and its natural. Would rather have the bird on a single stick with an even bg but that is not what it is. Removal wise would try cloning out the lighter branch just over the perch. I think it would enhance the image and keep it natural. I don't mind removing a little branch here or there but altering the entire bg is not something I like to do. Again nothing wrong with it but looks unnatural.

Gus Hallgren
01-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Took out extra branch on both sides per Al's CC . .

denise ippolito
01-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Great capture and the second re-post is great!!!

Michelle C. Battista
01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Thank you Uncle Gus, Al, and Denise, I too love the reposts. I'm glad you said something about the ISO, You hear so many different things, like don't go with high ISO, at at some point, you don't know what to believe. So I took the picture the way I thought I should. Thanks MCB

Gus Cobos
01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
A very nice capture on this little guy Michelle,
I love the vibrant colors on him...my suggestion would be to lighten the eye and area surround it and sprinkle a wee bit of selective sharpening...I like Uncle Gus' second repost...looking forward to your next one Michelle...good show...:cool:

Desmond Chan
01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Good looking bird. Never seen one before so thanks for sharing, Michelle. A little adjustment in contrast helps improve it.

I'm glad you said something about the ISO, You hear so many different things, like don't go with high ISO, at at some point, you don't know what to believe.

You believe in the results. There's no rule in what ISO to use. Some people insist in low ISO because they don't like what may come with it aka noise and loss of details. And then there are some who is simply stubborn :D

So I took the picture the way I thought I should. Thanks MCBWay to go !!

Lance Peters
01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi - gus;s 2nd repost is on the money - great looking bird. Agree with AL on the issue of backgrounds. I dont mind removing a couple of branches and the like - it is still a faithful reprensation of the actual scene - replacing the entire background means the scene never actually existed.

Also if you ever intend to entre any competitions - most do not allow much in the way of this sort of PP work at all.

Michelle C. Battista
01-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks Lance, You your are very right about the competitions. I do like the background, it gives the true habitat of the bird. The second post Uncle Gus is great. Thanks MCB

Katie Rupp
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
This guy is really a beautiful bird and I love Gus's 2nd repost. I think he accomplished your objective...a great save!

Desmond Chan
01-24-2009, 09:51 PM
it is still a faithful reprensation of the actual scene - replacing the entire background means the scene never actually existed.

Also if you ever intend to entre any competitions - most do not allow much in the way of this sort of PP work at all.

Here's an article of "Fine Art Photography vs Documentary Photojournalism":

http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/conservation-and-ethics/40-conservation-a-ethics/345-fine-art-photography-vs-documentary-photojournalism-

Michelle C. Battista
01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks, Desmond, I booked mark that one. Thanks for all the info, MCB