PDA

View Full Version : Nature Walk Etching

Dave Woeller
01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Took an old file and Desaturated it in PS then played a bit in Topaz to see if I could get a sort of etching feel. Although I like the texture of the tree on the left, I think it is too close to the edge. So my question would be, if I crop to the same aspect ratio and eliminate the tree and some from the bottom would it be a stronger pic? The effect seems kinda neat to me. Thanks in advance for all thoughts and guidance.

Michael Pancier
01-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I like the effect. Can you post a link to the plug in? I would crop in so the left side of the trail is coming out of the left corner.

Gus Cobos
01-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Hi Dave,
I was adjusting your blacks and contrast levels; and cropped tighter from the right...see if this presents best to you...:cool:

Dave Woeller
01-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Thank you Michael and Gus, Both proposals offer interesting differences. I'll play some more. I did struggle with the final blacks and contrast settings and opted to keep a littlle subdued. I like the more bold presentations also. The plug-in is from Topaz Labs. My son and I watched a demo at the Photoplus expo in New York City. The stuff they were doing was amazing. There are 4 or so different plug-ins from these folks and the one used here is topaz adjust Which also contains a killer noise control section. The link is www.topazlabs.com (http://www.topazlabs.com) Thanks for the suggestions.

denise ippolito
01-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Dave, I like the interesting shot and the effect used on this. I think the crop looks good.

Julie Kenward
01-24-2009, 09:03 PM
I have downloaded most of the free 30-day trials from Topaz Labs but wonder which of the four effects you used on this? Let's remember to give as much info as we can recall when showing our work here because down in OOTB it's about pp technique and we can't learn if we don't share!

I love both images. The first does have a softer feel and that's nice for the sketch side of the image. If it were a black and white photo I'd go with Gus's for sure - I love bold contrast in b&w's. I do think a bit off the bottom would be nice...the trail is a bit long at that end for me. I do think you should definitely keep the tree on the left - it's such a great balance for the right side. Nice image, Dave!

Dave Woeller
01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry Julie, The topaz effect was accomplished with Topaz Adjust. I had previously desaturated in Photoshop, but could have easily done the same in the adjust plug-in. I did begin with one of their presets called simplify, but changed quite a bit in exposure,and details after that.