PDA

View Full Version : Mossy Oak HDR

Dan Brown
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
This is a 5 image HDR produced with Photomatix and PP'ed in CS3. The "save for web" version seems to loose something, resolution, I'm not sure but the post doesn't have the "punch" of the original?

Rene Quenneville
01-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Tones are great and star effect is well rendered. I have seen this kind of textures with some of my HDR conversions. I now always use the alignment and moving objects options in Photomatix and it has redust the effect. I now use 3 images most of the time 2/3 or 1 EV between each . I find it very difficult to to obtain great clarity with 5 images.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Dan,

You're a Photomatix monster now! :)

Very cool. Overall nice work. Ghosting can be a problem but many times it leans an interesting affect. I don't see anything overtly problematic here. The halos you see around the branches are a function of light smoothing - to reduce them go right on the on the settings. But that also causes the image to lose some of its punch or what I have heard called grunginess.

I like the placement of the right tree, the branches coming in at left and the long diagonal shadows. Star burst a nice treat.

I think working to lessen/eliminate the halos will be worthwhile. Nice going.

Dan Brown
01-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Thanks Robert and Rene. I redid the HDR using Rene's suggestion on aligning and I attempted to adjust the ghosting. I lost a bit of detail in the upper left but overall and couldn't seems to improve the image presented here after upload? The image seems much more dynamic and improved when viewed before upload, both the resized version and the original Tiff? Could this be due to the 1024x800 file size?

Roman Kurywczak
01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey Dan,
I really like what you've done with this one......the starburst through the tree and your choice of tree shape..........is really nice. While i see the mentioned halos.......i find that they are giving the image a pretty cool look and I prefer the 1st version. I also look at HDR's.....when presented for web with a bit of liniency.......because of the 200kb restriction......I find that landscapes are tough to get to that size without seriously lowering the quality while when I post a bird.....if the BG is realtively clean......I can get them posted with a much higher resolution and just the nature of HDR.......with more tonal range......will mean a serious knock down in quality........so long story short.........very nicely done!

Harold Davis
01-24-2009, 08:13 PM
love the composition and tones! well done!!

Robert Amoruso
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Dan,

I do agree with Roman, I like the halos here as it works in the image as a whole. I was just giving you some info on how to deal with them when and if needed.