PDA

View Full Version : Red-rumped Parrot

Simon Bennett
01-23-2009, 02:02 AM
I was photographing dotterels on a muddy waterhole at Chiltern, Victoria, when this young male Red-rumped Parrot suddenly dropped for a drink. I managed a few shots, but he was very close and occupied the entire frame. So I have attempted to add canvas to add more space in front. More than half of the canvas in front of the bird, including ripples, has been added. I hope it looks convincing.

Canon 40D, EF500 f/4 + 1.4 tc, tripod, ISO200, f/13, 1/250, Image leveled, some canvas added on left, and a couple of pale spots in water disguised.

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Very nice work, It looks very good to me

Juan Aragonés
01-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Very good compositional job Simon, the reflection of the bird in the water is really nice. The bird looks a bit light to my taste, in fact I prefer the color ad light in the reflected image. I think taht you can try to tone down the bird for a better result.

Tony House
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
You've done a great job adding the canvas. Light ,reflection and detail look superb.

Nice work.
Tony

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Simon,

Your PP work is flawless and the image is really good! :) How I would wish that out of focus foreground just disappeared, but not much you could do at such short notice. Our Aussie birds are very flighty and not very cooperative at the best of times. LOL!! Good job!

Arthur Morris
01-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I managed a few shots, but he was very close and occupied the entire frame. So I have attempted to add canvas to add more space in front. More than half of the canvas in front of the bird, including ripples, has been added. I hope it looks convincing.

Hi Simon, I love the bird and the color s but I gotta be honest here (and as gentle as possible): the Photoshop police would hang you for this one. The only thing that is convincing is that your cloning is screamingly obvious. (Sorry all.)

The concentric rings of water that disappear abrubtly (where you worked) is the dead give-away. Doing this well would with some QMs and the warp command require some time and a great deal of skill (if it is possible to do so at all).