PDA

View Full Version : Northen Pintail - Male and Female

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Taken at sunset with golden light on the water, MINWR here in FL last weekend.

Canon 50D
Canon 600mm with 1.4x TC at 840mm
1/250 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800

Tony Whitehead
01-22-2009, 11:22 PM
This superb, Robert. Love the colour pallete, water and the pose of the drake especially. Pano crop works well. One of my favourite duck species even though I've never seen a real one! Most envious - if this were mine it would be printed big and hanging on the wall.

Mike Tracy
01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I was going to post my pintail from over there on Wednesday until I saw this.

It might just be me or this monitor but I wish the males head was just a smidge lighter. Other then that there is nothing not to like about it. I just love the light we get over there this time of year in the evenings.

Juan Aragonés
01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Very artistic image Robert and the poano crop works really fine here. superb light and colors and I like the pose of both birds. Well done!

Peregrine Craig Nash
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I also think this is a very fine image. My only nit and a very small one is I wish the male Pintail's head was not looking down and was at the same level as the female. However I have never got close enough to one of these to get even a decent image so am really quite envious!!

Doug Brown
01-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Love the water color and the fact that you got both of the birds in focus shooting wide open. The crop works well to me.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I was going to post my pintail from over there on Wednesday until I saw this.

It might just be me or this monitor but I wish the males head was just a smidge lighter. Other then that there is nothing not to like about it. I just love the light we get over there this time of year in the evenings.

Mike, thanks for the comments. I did open up the head. Any more and it started to look unnatural. I did not like how the flash killed the soft glow of light on the ducks and preferred the w/o flash image better.

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2009, 10:13 PM
I also think this is a very fine image. My only nit and a very small one is I wish the male Pintail's head was not looking down and was at the same level as the female. However I have never got close enough to one of these to get even a decent image so am really quite envious!!

I understand where your coming from and thought about that when I was deciding on it during editing and I do have one with the heads in the same up position. I felt that the different head positions added tension to the image. I appreciate you taking time to comment - very helpful to get others opinions. Now I will go back and work the same head position image and add to my files.