PDA

View Full Version : GBH Portrait

Art Kornienko
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Rebel XT, 300 F4LIS on monopod. The bg is a waterfall that I wish I could have blurred more, but wasn't possible on my monopod.

http://www.usefilm.com/images/5/7/3/6/5736/1468503-large.jpg

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Art,

Your biggest critique would be a better head turn. Not sure where you photographed this but even here in Florida where they are used to humans, they still turn away when I move to get a better head position.

I think the falls look pretty good - might have been better more blurred - but I really like how its colors contrast so well with those of the heron. Please post the exposure next time as know the shutter speed in this case would help in evaluating the blur of the water.

You exposure looks good with nice detail in the whites on the heron's head - always a problematic issue with them due to their predominately more gray tones.

joel quenneville
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Interesting portrait. Although the general rule of thumb is to have the bird's head angle within 180° of the photographer, I don't mind that he is looking away. This, along with his concentrated gaze and the waterfall behind him add a sense of drama to the scene. You might want to clone out the green thing in his bill.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't mind that the BG is not blurred more. It actually makes for an unique setting and only wish for more head turn toward you.