PDA

View Full Version : printing question

Harold Davis
01-22-2009, 05:35 PM
this is an HDR of my golf course that i took yesterday. i color balanced it with CNX2 by setting the black and white control point. when i print it with an hp printer at work, it has a yellow cast to it. i tried another color space and reprinted with little to no difference. can anyone see a cast to it or know of anything i need to do differently? it's an HP 3600 series printer. thanks so much!

sorry i havent been around lately. i have been very busy making my new website and it has taken all my time!:o i will try to make it back around more soon!!!

thanks for looking and C&C welcome and appreciated.

oh yeah! i gotta figure out how to PS the flag so it doesnt look ragged. that came from the six image overlay.

Harold Davis
01-22-2009, 05:41 PM
sorry guys. see if this is any better. i may have been able to fix it myself. it does look a lot more natural.

Lance Peters
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Harold - IMHO (I work in a Professional Photo Lab) your problem will be with your printer, your screen is colour balanced I assume?? If so you really need a colour balanced printer profile for your printer.

That said the second one does look a lot better on my screen - does it priny O.K?

:)

denise ippolito
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Harold, T he second one looks good to me. Nice shot!! Maybe you could of cloned the flag in all but one image?

Harold Davis
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
thanks, denise!!! that's a heck of an idea i will have to try next time. simple fix!!!

lance, i will have to try to print the second one tomorrow. a color balanced printer profile? how is that achieved? please dont say trial and error!! this could get expensive and time consuming!!! i seem to be running out of patience lately.:eek::eek::eek:

Jackie Schuknecht
01-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Second one looks better Harold, should print up OK now. Had a quick look at your website, looks very good. Didn't know you did macro either.

Lance Peters
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Harold - We have a special machie that we feed the print into - it then creats a colour profile that you use to print with. I don't know that its possible with home printers - maybe?
You could do it the ol fashioned way by eye - if your screen is colour balanced - print the print and if its not close to what you see on the screen you will have to go into your printer settings and see what colour adjustments you have in there. Do another print and repeat until you have a print that is close to what you see on the screen.
:)

Katie Rupp
01-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Harold,
Another vote for the second one. And, I was so pleased to meet you and Jill at Lone Key, what a place and what a sight!
Katie

Oscar Zangroniz
01-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Yet another vote for the second H. Don't be cheap and by yourself a new printer:p

Gus Cobos
01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
My good Doctor,
I am green as green can be, when it comes to printers...:eek: I have my large prints done by a pro lab...:D
I would suggest going on line to HP and or calling their customer service help desk; maybe they can set you up...as far as color calibration goes...
I like the second image the best; it has more natural colors...:cool:

David Thomasson
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
The second looks better than the first, but I'm still seeing a slight red/magenta cast on my monitor (calibrated). Just guessing and making a selective color adjustment, does this look closer to right to you? You have the advantage of having seen the golf course. :cool:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/5030/golfha2.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2397/golfcompre0.jpg

Desmond Chan
01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
The second looks better than the first, but I'm still seeing a slight red/magenta cast on my monitor (calibrated).

I see the same. David's repost works better for me.

I think this photo will looks great printed BIG ! :) Impressive, Harold !

denise ippolito
01-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Once you put them side by side like that it is easy to see! Great repost!

Harold Davis
01-23-2009, 05:30 AM
your repost does look better david. thanks. exactly how did you do that?

Alfred Forns
01-23-2009, 08:02 AM
David's repost is right one !!!

Harold if you are shooting something like this might want to include a gray card, best way to color balance !!!!!

David Thomasson
01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
your repost does look better david. thanks. exactly how did you do that?

I had deleted the file, but the adjustments were approximately like this:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3370/select14ax7.jpg

denise ippolito
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
David, Once again thankyou for your very informative answer.. Also when doing these adjustments should it always be set on relative? What would be the difference between relative and absolute? and when would you use absolute?

Harold Davis
01-24-2009, 12:24 PM
thanks david, your time is really appreciated!!!

WIlliam Maroldo
01-24-2009, 11:21 PM
What about slicing a duplicate of the image into lets say six vertical strips (equal widths)? Create a layer for each. Then adjust each layer with somewhat different white balance, etc., and keep track of the adjustments. Then print it out. It can be reduced in size and not at highest resolution or image quality (to preserve ink). Basically a proof. See which one prints best, and use the adjustments you used for that slice for the full size print. Low tech, but it works~Bill