PDA

View Full Version : Apple Snail

James Shadle
01-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Apple Snail
Lakeland, Fl

Nikon D300
Sigma 300-800mm with 25mm extenstion tube.
Manual exposure
1/40ss @ F16
Fill Flash Balance -1
ISO 800

Aristotle Georgiou
01-21-2009, 03:55 AM
Great capture James!

I like your composition, nice detail and excellent DOF.

Well done.

Gus Cobos
01-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Mr. Shadle,
I like the image and capture...you display sharp details with very good color rendition...the texture is superb...I like the complimentary color hues of the browns, the pinks and the greens...:)
My only suggestion would be to add just a tad of canvas to the right side of the frame to get the grass blade out of the intersecting corner...congrats...looking forward to seeing more...:cool:

Julie Kenward
01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I have never seen anything like this! What a neat image with the great pattern in the shell and then those pink things (what ARE those things?) against the green of the plant. I agree with Gus that a little canvas on the right would be nice to give that blade a little more room but it is certainly nice as presented.

Marina Scarr
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
What a unique picture of a unique creature. Now we all know what the Snail Kites are eating. Normally we only see empty shells. Wonderful detail in the orange. Like the composition as presented, but would clone out the few highlighted areas in the snail's center probably as a result of the flash. It's nice to see you posting.

Marina

Mike Fuhr
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I like this picture too. Nice composition. I would echo the comment about the flash -- its a bit much for my taste -- makes the image appear a bit flat.

Paul Marcellini
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Great shot James. I like the simple color contrasts here.

Just to let you know that's the exotic, Island Apple Snail. I heard biologists were worried it would out-compete the native and be a detriment to the snail kite but from what I later have heard it is just another food source for them.

Mike Moats
01-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Hey James, very cool subject, and very well done on the shot. Excellent details, good diagonal line with the green stems. Slight blue color in the BG looks good.

Sue Thomson
01-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Whoa!!! These things are HUGE!!!!!!!!! I did a bit of a search and they are as big as the palm of a man's hand! WOWSERS! http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/invasive_species/applesnail_images2.htm

I only see tiny little half-inch garden ones here :(

I do like your pic a lot. Great colours. Those pink eggs are most impressive!

Are they edible? I love escargot swimming in garlic butter with mushroom caps :D

Cheers,
Sue

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I've never seen any thing like that!

Ditto Gus comments. Great job.

Joseph Martines
01-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Neat shot.

Thanks for sharing.

James Shadle
02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Great shot James. I like the simple color contrasts here.

Just to let you know that's the exotic, Island Apple Snail. I heard biologists were worried it would out-compete the native and be a detriment to the snail kite but from what I later have heard it is just another food source for them.

Pink Eggs!

James Shadle
02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Mr. Shadle,
I like the image and capture...you display sharp details with very good color rendition...the texture is superb...I like the complimentary color hues of the browns, the pinks and the greens...:)
My only suggestion would be to add just a tad of canvas to the right side of the frame to get the grass blade out of the intersecting corner...congrats...looking forward to seeing more...:cool:

Perhaps a little more canvas, But intended to be a very tight image.

And there is a lot of opinions on diagonals out of a corner. I love them.

Box of chocolate, not everyone likes the same flavored centers.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful comments.