PDA

View Full Version : Help on composition

joel quenneville
01-20-2009, 10:13 PM
I am not sure about the composition in for this image. I tried to get the center of the flower on one of the "thirds" position and get all the petals leading towards it. This is how it turned out. What do you think? Do you have any tips on how I could improve the composition?
Thank-you.
All comments welcome.

1/125s
f/20
ISO 800
Sigma 150mm Macro
Nikon D300

Aristotle Georgiou
01-21-2009, 03:59 AM
I like the composition as is.

Great detail and loverly colours to this flower. My only nit would be the yellows are over exposed and toning it down will help with some more detail on the pedals.

Stuart Frohm
01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I agree. Nice composition. Also, if you wish, you could try cropping in a tiny bit from the left and from the bottom to eliminate only the smallest of the green diamonds there. But that's nitpicking on my part.
All best,
Stu

Julie Kenward
01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Joel, it's really not bad as is but I do have an alternative for you to think about in the future. See how large the center of the flower is compared to the room for the petals? If you had backed away a bit you could have really fit it into one of the "thirds" and had lots of room to have the petals falling off into the surrounding three corners. If this is a crop, I'd go back to the original and recrop giving more room to the petals and a bit less to the center, pushing it to be contained in the upper left to center area. Make sense?

Mike Moats
01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey Joel, I like the comp and agree with Ari on backing off on the saturation of the yellow.

Roman Kurywczak
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey Joel,
I didn't mind the comp either but wanted to show you a different look to your image incorporating some of the above suggestions. I took the image into PS and rotated it. I was fine with your original presentation but wanted to just give you another idea for next time out. If this was your flower or someone you knew.....I would have tried to un-curl the top petal as this would have given you more room to work with......as presented....I cropped that off and a few more of the green V's were eliminated. I personally don't mind them and in fact.....sometimes they add to the comp....but I wanted to show you what it would look like with most eliminated. I backed off the yellow saturation quite a bit and also lightened the center of the coneflower some. A final pop in the contrast.....below is the result. I left some of the highlights in.......but would recommend a bit of a clean up on them. Let me know your thoughts.