PDA

View Full Version : Bull elk during autumn rut

D. Robert Franz
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
From Yellowstone National Park during the peak of the rut. I positioned myself to have the bull coming towards me and to take advantage of a shadowed mountainside to go for a dramatic look. I also took the image from below eye level of the elk.

Canon 1d2, EF500mmF4, 1.4x, Gitzo & Foba, ISO 500, 1/800 @ F6.3

Ivan Rothman
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
This is indeed dramatic. Great image.
I love the dramatic lighting, the positioning of the two and the sharpness in both animals. The angle you chose to shoot at really makes it work.

Stephen Stephen
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Great perspective in this image Robert. I find the left side of the bull a little dark but still a nice capture.

Sudhir Shivaram
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
The huge antlers and the head position with the wonderful composition is what makes it for me. The contrast between the light coloured foreground and the dark background has worked well here. And yes, the below the eye level has a different impact here which has added the blurred foreground. Good execution.

Milo Burcham
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Dramatic light, background and pose. At first I was not wild about the merge of the two animals but it made me do a double take and look around the image a little.

DanWalters
01-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Great light and pose. The dark background really helps make a dramatic image.

Ritul
01-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Amazing background, superb light, really liked the highlighted antler tips - makes the picture very dramatic. In my opinion the calf and a few grasses in the fore ground are distractive - its absence would have been better. But thats nature...
Very nice!!

John Cooper
01-22-2008, 02:29 AM
A dramatic play of light and shadow Robert. The low perspective has emphasized the antlers beautifully. You also did well with DOF getting the eye of both adult and calf appearing sharp. Nice one!!!

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
I like the vertical composition Robert and the side-lighting, hence dark side of the bull is OK with me. I like how you left so much of the BG above the elks, it makes the image feel wide-open.