1/4 sec. at f/32
ISO 100
Tripod w/ Timer
incandescent light

Sorry Jules I know you said you don't like this white-tipped tulip :(

Ed Vatza
01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi Denise,

I will say that there is something about the muted colors of the flower, leaves and background that really appeals to me. It doesn't look totally natural but something about it looks cool. Did you do something in post-processing?

The one negative for me is that this looks like a vert that has been laid on its side. The stem seems to come in too straight from the side. I would prefer to see it coming in at more of an angle.

Gus Cobos
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Lady Denise,
I like the composition and the flower's presentation into the frame...my suggestion would be to tone down the whit tips just a tad; and to crop 1/4 from the bottom of the frame to give it a sense of balance and eliminate some of the negative space...I like the colors and the details with the silky texture...well presented...good show...:cool:

denise ippolito
01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Ed, nothing funky in PP. just slight crop,sharpening and NR. I shot it as you are viewing it. :)

Gus, I will remove the negative space!! Thanks:p

Julie Kenward
01-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Denise, it wasn't the white tipped tulip I didn't like - it was the white tips so huge and OOF on the last image - I thought they detracted from the center because of their blurriness. If they had been the same pink color as the rest of the tulip I probably wouldn't have noticed them but with that blob of OOF white I just didn't care for it.

Now, on to this one! I like this much better. Was your intention to have a muted look to the image? I'm asking because the colors look off to me and I can't tell if you were doing this intentionally or not.

Also, as to what Ed said, I find that a flower is a lot like a bird or another animal - you either crop them tight or you include the "legs." In this case, I think the composition would have been stronger if you had found a natural break where the leaf of the stem was either all included or all excluded - just as we do with the legs of an animal. Does that make sense? I tend to either include the entire leaf or clone it out so it looks like a natural place to break in the frame.

I also agree that the straightness of the stem makes me think this is a vertical turned on its side...there's no curve so it feels like a flipped image to me. Again, these are just my opinions...it's your vision. I would rather see the tulip with the stem at the bottom of the frame and the tulip curving over into the image.

Sue Thomson
01-25-2009, 01:35 AM
I really like the muted colours on this one. I agree with the crop on the bottom, but I do like the extra breathing room to the right. I think I might have also cropped between the two leaves, so that just the one was there, and I might even have given it a slight bit of rotation.

And ... ummm .... you have dust specks on your sensor :(

Cheers,
Sue