PDA

View Full Version : Leucistic Moorhen

Rich Steel
01-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi

This is an update to a photo I previously posted of one of these two very rare coloured birds, that are present on a local lake. I thought they may have been predated by fox when the lake froze recently but can happily report both are doing very well. The birds have now developed the typical colouring of a moorhen's beak. Last time I visited they had a plain yellow/ orange beak.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/whitemoorhen22009.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens. Spot metering F7.1, +0.33 EV, ISO250 at 1/1250s

Cheers

Rich

Axel Hildebrandt
01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Great details, angle, composition and eye contact. I might try to lighten the part of the plumage that is not well-lit. I have never seen a leucistic moorhen before, thanks for sharing!

Daniel Cadieux
01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
The white bird on dark water works very well here. Good exposure control. Comp is good, but cropping close to half the empty space at top would look great IMO. Thanks for the update on these special individuals!!

James Shadle
01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Rich,
Way to handle contrast! This is an awesome bird.
Similar to Daniel's comment, I would like to see the bird higher in the frame with more space at the bottom.
Doing that makes the angle "look" even lower.
Thanks James

Tony Whitehead
01-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Lovely image Rich, white on black with red bill really leaps out. Agree re the crop suggestion.

Peregrine Craig Nash
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Richard what a great image. I have never seen a leucistic moorhen but did find a leucistic Black Guillemot a couple of years back.

Tony House
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Great capture, whites look great against the dark B/G, good detail and pin sharp....

Nice work.
Tony

I found a pure white House Sparrow the other day but never managed a picture, trying to work out how to get an image without upsetting the people who's garden and house it lives at, that's if a Sparrow Hawk doesn't get there before me....

Rich Steel
01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. I can see what you mean about the crop and think its agreat suggestion.

Many thanks

Rich