PDA

View Full Version : White-breasted Nuthatch

Rob Mckenzie
01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I wanted some general advice on this shot but also some specific advice on the crop.
So any C & C is very welcome.

Nikon D40 - 70-300mm @ 300mm
ISO 1600 - Terrible light that day.
1/1250 @ f / 5.6
0ev
Metering: Eval
Aperture Priority
No Flash
No Tripod

Rob Mckenzie
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Different Crop - Any advice one way or another would be amazing.

Rich Williams
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I like the second one better

Gus Cobos
01-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi Rob,
I like the capture you have a very good head angle and eye contact, with nice details on the bird...I modified your base composition into a pano crop to put more attention on the little guy; he deserves all the attention. also I adjusted the mid-tones in the background and blurred it even more so that the criss-cross matrix of oof branches is not that prominent. see if this presents best to you...:cool:

Lance Peters
01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi - looks like Gus added some sharpening to the bird - which was my first thought when seeing it.

I like your HA and eye contact. It may just be my monitor but the BG looks a little bright.

keep em coming :)

Alfred Forns
01-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Rob I think I know what you were up to with your crop, the perch did look interesting but I think the cropped version Gus posted makes for a stronger image.

I like the pose very much and slightly tilted head !!! Would like to see a catchlight on the eye, will make it look livelier which is one of the reasons we use light fill in flash. btw the bg you can select and give it a some Gaussian blur for smoothening. Excellent image.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-19-2009, 07:19 PM
You've got the BG Rob, with very pretty colours in it and good HA and pose on the bird. I would just sharpen the bird a little bit. Sarpening in LAB mode is good and doesn't seem to produce halos.

denise ippolito
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Rob, Good colors in the BG,bird looks a little soft.Good pose-I like Gus' repost!

Oscar Zangroniz
01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Your exposure seems fine and you have lots of details on your subject. Gus's re post makes your bird stand out more in the frame.
Congrats

Stefan Minnig
01-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Rob,

Very nice shot of WB Nutty. I'm not sure if it is my monitor or the nutty's at my feeders, but the blue seems a little saturated on this guy compared to what I usually see. I'm usually seeing a gray-blue color, and more on the gray side under the wing.

Stefan

Mike Page
01-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Beautiful pictures of an evocative bird.