PDA

View Full Version : Australasian Gannet

Tony Whitehead
01-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Image made in April 2008 at Muriwai, a breeding colony northwest of Auckland. This was one of the few birds left toward the end of the breeding season coming in to land against a backdrop of breaking waves. I like the symmetry and pose of the wings with the fanned tail and spread feet preparing to land. I would prefer some eye contact but the bird is looking down to land and the vantage point is restricted to a platform on the cliff which is above the birds.
Nikon D300
Nikon 200-40 @ 200mm
ISO400 1/4000 f4
comments and advice welcome as always

Daniel Cadieux
01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
At first glance it I thought it was carrying a stick...but of course they can't do that with their palmed feet :-). Nice overall pose - I like the fanned tail, and the crashing wave is superb! I too wish for more eye contact.

Doug Brown
01-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I like the symmetry and the placement of the bird in the center of the frame. The BG is dynamic. Eye contact is always a good thing, but this image works in its own way.

Juan Aragonés
01-19-2009, 09:27 AM
A neat eye contact would be great but I think that with such a great BG, simetry and sharpness this image doesn´t needs eye contact. I am not sure but it seems that the image has a blue/cyan cast (I am at the office now and my monitor is not calibrated) a touch of additional contrast, mostly on the BG, and saturation increase would also produce anicer result. Well done!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Cool pose, details and I really like the BG, too. The lack of eye contact doesn't bother me at all.

Rene Quenneville
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I love this powerful composition. I also see a slight blue cast on my monitor. You could try to put a grad filter in photoshop, running from the bottom of the picture to the feet of the bird. It could add some drama to this beautiful scene.

Tony Whitehead
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the comments and advice guys. The blue cast had escaped me in preserving the colour in the water but by correcting the bird and leaving the water I think it looks better. Thanks for the suggestion re the grad, Rene. I have tried it in this version but chosen to burn the lower portion of the image instead of using a grad as I had already applied a burn to the corners and felt it blended in better

Tony House
01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Re-post for me, great pose and what a B/G... Eye contact doesn't bother me...

Nice work.
Tony

Kris Mortensen
01-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Love this shot!