PDA

View Full Version : My first HDR?

Dan Brown
01-18-2009, 11:57 PM
This is my first post of an HDR and I really don't know what I'm doing here? I shot three images, +2, 0 and -2. My first attempt wasn't too successful with the sunset sky ending up washed out. So, I retried, this time darkening all three images simaltaniously in ACR. This seems to have allowed me to maintain the sky color that I wanted. I sharpened/reduced noise with Intellisharpen II and adjusted further in CS3.
C&C welcome and I hope to learn from them:eek:

Camera Model: NIKON D200
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Spot
ISO: 400
Lens: 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D
Focal length: 34mm
AF mode: MANUAL
White balance: AUTO

Michael Pancier
01-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Dan, what program are you using for HDR?

Robert Amoruso
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Dan,

Even though I find the fence a nice graphic pattern with an interesting shape and even though I like that building, I think the inclusion of the foliage and branches overpowers the image. I can't really say or see that the HDR helped here.

Dan Brown
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Michael, I used CS3's HDR converter.

Robert, I agree, the leaves and branches are ????? but I was thinking that for an HDR exercise it would be ok and maybe I could get some depth, but I just didn't seem to be able to handle the processing? Or, maybe the image isn't suited for HDR? Thanks for the input.

One question, is there a particular situation that is more suitable for HDR? And, without the leaves and branches, does this image fit that?

Michael Pancier
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
I've not had any good results with the HDR program in PS. Photomatix is the easiest and more powerful tool I've worked with.

I think HDR really works in those situations where you have such a wide contrast range ... such as shadow areas and bright lit sky.

I use it even in night shots such as skylines (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2095/2100731298_8391ffb9e2_o.jpg)or buildings. It's great for cloudy days too. This (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2174310105_147ee0b908_o.jpg)image would not have worked but for HDR. (I did a 5 image HDR here). My skies were overcast with no detail. It was dark and I thought my morning wasn't going to produce anything. It is perfect for use with sunset/sunrise shots.

Try downloading the trial version and see how you like it.

Dan Brown
01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks Michael, I downloaded the trial of Photomatix and the repost is the first product. I cloned over the watermarks for this post and I will be purchasing the program. I just let the program do it all without interacting. I sure was WAY easier that PS! I think this is closer to what I thought I would be getting. But, I think that my image with the leaves and twigs just doesn't work. I will try again with other images.

denise ippolito
01-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Dan,Great first attempt.Good thread also-I learned a little about photomatrix and look forward to more of your HDR work w/ photomatrix!!

John Hawkins
01-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Has anyone used Hydra? I haven't tried HDR yet but was just given a gift of HYDRA from my son. I haven't had time to learn how to use it yet. Is HDR just used in landscapes or would you use it in other shots as well?
Thanks,
John

Michael Pancier
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Has anyone used Hydra? I haven't tried HDR yet but was just given a gift of HYDRA from my son. I haven't had time to learn how to use it yet. Is HDR just used in landscapes or would you use it in other shots as well?
Thanks,
John

John, I've tried it with birds and it looks awful. You can use it for special effects for non landscape or interior shots (it does work great for interiors especially with windows) -- but the effect you get with people and animals makes it look more like graphic art. Also, HDR works best with static subjects. If you have something changing poses, kind of makes it impossible to get a good HDR. Think of it as a digital replacement for GND filters ....

Roman Kurywczak
01-20-2009, 05:12 PM
.... Think of it as a digital replacement for GND filters ....
Ouch!!!... Michael. Hey Dan, I will go out onto the limb here and say that HDR is a very fine tool and can be used effectively in many situations but is not a cure all for every exposure and can become quickly over done. On that note ....the split ND isn't always the answer either.......but can greatly contol many exposure issues............but must be used correctly!.....which is correct???....both. In todays digital world I would never recommend someone take just the straight shot! Heck.....even I expose for HDR's and I don't even do them yet! But I would never do an image in the early morning or late evening......without my split ND's first. Then I quickly do the same scene for HDR. Why??.....you never know which is going to turn out better in the end.....and as programs get even better in the future handling these situations...having the luxury of choosing between the 2........priceless! Megs are free! Hey! I just did a Visa commercial!

Michael Pancier
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Ouch!!!... Michael. Hey Dan, I will go out onto the limb here and say that HDR is a very fine tool and can be used effectively in many situations but is not a cure all for every exposure and can become quickly over done. On that note ....the split ND isn't always the answer either.......but can greatly contol many exposure issues............but must be used correctly!.....which is correct???....both. In todays digital world I would never recommend someone take just the straight shot! Heck.....even I expose for HDR's and I don't even do them yet! But I would never do an image in the early morning or late evening......without my split ND's first. Then I quickly do the same scene for HDR. Why??.....you never know which is going to turn out better in the end.....and as programs get even better in the future handling these situations...having the luxury of choosing between the 2........priceless! Megs are free! Hey! I just did a Visa commercial!

I'm with you Roman. I still use the GND filters with HDR as you said ... in case one looks better than the other.

Maybe I should stack more of them like you do, but sometimes, even a 3d Split I find sometimes doesn't cut it ....

I do find that the ND Grad filter in Nik Color Effects Pro does the trick though when I need to go one louder ....

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Dan,

I think that you can see the difference between the PS Tone Mapping and Photomatix. I steer my clients away from PS as it simply is not worth the trouble. Your second post certainly is more interesting. I find that if I have a scene that requires me to expose the highlights correctly results in deep shadows with little detail, then HDR is helpful in getting that shadow detail w/o noise.

However, if I have areas of extreme overexposure (sun, highlights in water), in the combined HDR image I do get artifacting in those areas. Question to Michael Pancier or anyone doing HDR: Do you have this problem?