PDA

View Full Version : Experiment #2 - Color on Color

Ed Vatza
01-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Well I continued to experiment with flower backgrounds tonight and at one point I decided to drift away from the contrasting colors (i.e. Red on Yellow) and focus my attention on similar colors - color on color so to speak. I'm not sure how I feel about these images. One moment I like it; the next, not so much. So I thought I would put it out here and see what you all think. All I will say is that I am getting closer to my vision.

Canon 30D w/remote shutter release; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash w/LumiQuest Lightbox bracket-mounted; Manfrotto tripod.

1/13 sec @ f/5.6; ISO 200; +1 EV; AWB; FEC 0.

Aristotle Georgiou
01-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Ed

I like the golden coloured BG and nice lighting. But I would probably try a different composition.

denise ippolito
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Ed, I like the lighting and the colors, the composition is ok. I think the mini-carnation would have been better alone or w/ some seperation.

Mike Moats
01-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I think the flower color being so similar to the BG color they tend to get lost in the BG and it needs a contrasting color or lighting to make the flowers pop more.

Julie Kenward
01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
My thought is dark yellow on the flowers in the FG and light yellow on the flowers in the BG...maybe?

I like this but I think the more intense color should be in the sea of the lighter BG. You sure are having fun though, I can tell!

Ed Vatza
01-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Ed

I like the golden coloured BG and nice lighting. But I would probably try a different composition.

Thanks, Ari. Appreciate the feedback. What kind of composition were you thinking of? Just curious.

Ed, I like the lighting and the colors, the composition is ok. I think the mini-carnation would have been better alone or w/ some seperation.

I actually thought about a single carnation but didn't want to perform surgery. :eek: So I went with what I had. After all, its just some experimenting!;) So the comp is ok. What do you think would make it better? Again, I am just curious what others are thinking.

I think the flower color being so similar to the BG color they tend to get lost in the BG and it needs a contrasting color or lighting to make the flowers pop more.

Thanks Mike. I wanted to try the two similar colors. That was part of the experiment. :) What might you suggest I do with lighting? I used flash. I had overhead lighting. I also introduced sidelighting on the carnations with a reflector on the opposite side. Once again, just curious.

My thought is dark yellow on the flowers in the FG and light yellow on the flowers in the BG...maybe?

I like this but I think the more intense color should be in the sea of the lighter BG. You sure are having fun though, I can tell!

Fair enough Jules. Unfortunately the bouquet I bought had light and dark yellows in a proportion that dictated light on dark.

But yes, I am having FUN! Can you tell?

And if someone is coming across this for the first time, I should point out that I am having fun with this post. Don't want anyone to think I am being obnoxious.

P.S. Is there any easy way to multi-quote as I did in this post. I'd hate to tell you what I went through to do it.

denise ippolito
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Ed, maybe just the one flower head. I don't know I'm struggling myself!!!

Aristotle Georgiou
01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Sorry Ed I meant the arrangement of the flowers. Maybe brining the stems closer to getter might work a little better.

Anita Bower
01-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Ed: I'm enjoying your experiments, and doing some myself. Did you use flowers as the BG? And, how far away were they?

Ed Vatza
01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Ed: I'm enjoying your experiments, and doing some myself. Did you use flowers as the BG? And, how far away were they?

Yes, I used flowers (mums, I think they were) as the background. Rather that mixing the colors, I went for a single color look in this one. And in order to fill the background, they were fairly close to the mini-carnations - I'd say about 6-8 inches.