PDA

View Full Version : Curlew

Gavin Spooner
01-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Nikon D2H, 400mm afs f2.8 + 1.4tc
iso 400, 1/800, f4
tripod
Jan 3rd 2009 Little Estero Lagoon, Fl

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_j_UKapWIQ2w/SWA0IdXQgeI/AAAAAAAAAOw/ZxfJtRIJmiY/s800/GAV_8916.jpg

Grace Scalzo
01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
What a nice image of this beautiful bird with a complimentary background. The way he is posing for you accentuates his graceful bill, and the drop on the end is pretty too. He's a bit crowded in this presentation...even tho his feet are in the water, it helps to leave "virtual room" for them, and the top is squeezed too. Could you have removed your tc? I've been on the computer all day, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think a bit more sharpening is in order. I hope we get to see more of your images.

Fabs Forns
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Yes, it'a a bit tight in the frame and you may have gotten a better vertical. The drop in the bill is a great plus.

John Chardine
01-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Another vote for more room top and bottom- may have to make some canvas which would be easy here. Bill and head look pin sharp and the DoF then takes over for the rest of the body. A lovely image with a lot of potential I think!

Gavin Spooner
01-18-2009, 11:01 PM
What a nice image of this beautiful bird with a complimentary background. The way he is posing for you accentuates his graceful bill, and the drop on the end is pretty too. He's a bit crowded in this presentation...even tho his feet are in the water, it helps to leave "virtual room" for them, and the top is squeezed too. Could you have removed your tc? I've been on the computer all day, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think a bit more sharpening is in order. I hope we get to see more of your images.

Grace:
Thanks for the feedback. This is full frame, and i unfortunately could not remove the tc as I was lying in the lagoon! As for the sharpness, I've been uploading to the web via picasa for a few weeks and they do get quite a bit softened. Time to pay for my pbase renewal I guess. The eye and bill is sharp, body is soft because of the shallow DOF.

Yes, it'a a bit tight in the frame and you may have gotten a better vertical. The drop in the bill is a great plus.

Fabs:
I'm not sure this one would be better in portrait as the body is pretty wide, which I think would lead to a lot of dead space at the top and bottom.

Another vote for more room top and bottom- may have to make some canvas which would be easy here. Bill and head look pin sharp and the DoF then takes over for the rest of the body. A lovely image with a lot of potential I think!

John:
I agree with all 3 and should add some more to the frame. I also revisited it in basic editing and added more contrast and saturation and it looks better. Now to add the extra canvas and i guess a visit to the retouch forum!

cheers all
Gavin

James Shadle
01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Gavin,
If you wanted to print this with a looser feel you could do what I call "reverse cropping" aka add canvas.
When I used my D2H I worked very tight and added sky when possible. With only 4MP I had to get creative sometimes.
Then a little masking and cloning and your all set.
I'm not a big clone guy, but if it is for you to print or a client requests it or needs it, what the heck.
James

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-20-2009, 05:16 PM
[quote=John Chardine;199636]Another vote for more room top and bottom- may have to make some canvas which would be easy here.

As I been reading it seems like more canvas would be good in your image. I did some of that on PS, hope you don't mind.
By the way, great picture! love that water drop falling from the bill. BG and pose are super.:D