PDA

View Full Version : Cold Duck anyone?

John Chardine
01-18-2009, 02:03 PM
We have had three days and nights of sustained cold with night-time temps of -30°C and highs of -17°C. This is unusual for the Maritime provinces. Species adapted to the cold seem to be doing fine but ducks that for one reason or another have decided to stay around, seem to be suffering. I found several hundred Mallards and assorted other species in the open-water corner of a small pond in Truro, Nova Scotia. Of course there is very little food for them and they seem to spend most of the day dabbling in vain. The result is an iced-up head as this male Mallard is showing.

Soap-box- it's not generally a good idea to feed ducks in city ponds because they may stay too late in the season to leave. Then they are dependent for the rest of the year. Many cities and towns in Canada have bylaws prohibiting duck feeding but it goes on nevertheless.

I removed a dark reflection in the water from the top left of the image, cropped and sharpened. As they dabble, they shake their heads rather quickly and in failing light I had trouble stopping the action. This one is on the edge.

PS It's supposed to warm up tomorrow.
PPS The Canadians in the audience might remember a rather terrible sparkling wine called Cold Duck!

Canon EOS 50D, 500/4
capture date: Saturday, 17 January, 2009 3:15 PM
exposure program: Aperture Priority
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/320
aperture: f7.1
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

Axel Hildebrandt
01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
As long as there is ice on the plumage, at least the insulation seems to work. This guy looks pretty miserable. I like the composition, details and eye contact.

Rich Williams
01-18-2009, 02:21 PM
All the research Ive seen suggest that feeding birds does not effect their migration.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
All the research Ive seen suggest that feeding birds does not effect their migration.

Interesting, I only know this about hummingbirds, I'm not sure about other species. Sounds like an interesting topic for the behavior forum.

Arthur Morris
01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi John, Well done on the image. The perfect head angle was needed and you got it. There are lots of ducks that do not eat bread that stay late into the winter and crowd into open water (that usually has been heated by humans).....

John Chardine
01-18-2009, 08:02 PM
True enough Artie. I understand in this case a local Truro lady does some serious feeding with high quality grain. Not sure when she starts in the year. The ducks I photographed commute between this pond and a stubble field about 1 km away. Maybe they get some food there?

Rich- Can you post to Avian ID, behaviour and nomenclature and mention the research you have read. Should be an interesting duscussion as Axel suggests.

Thanks for all the good comments.

John Chardine
01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
As long as there is ice on the plumage, at least the insulation seems to work. This guy looks pretty miserable. I like the composition, details and eye contact.

Axel- this one actually looks pretty bright compared to the average bird. Most seemed to be content to swim slowly around with half a bill in the water and eyes half-open or closed.

Julie Kenward
01-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Amazing photo, John and even we Americans remember that horrible stuff called "Cold Duck!" We traded up for Boones Farm!!!

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
That water must be coldddd!
Poor duck!
Very good details here John, like the details of feathers and that bill, seems like I can almost touch it!

Rich Williams
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Cornell has a site of FAQ about feeding birds here > http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/index.html