PDA

View Full Version : Long-Eared Owl

Rick Dobson
01-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Taken December 16th on Amherst Island Ontario. Over the past two years I have gone out at least five different times to get a picture of this owl. Can always locate them but this is the only capture I have ever manged to get with no obstructions in front of the owl. I like it. But always open to suggestions.
Canon 30D, 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 400, 70-200L f/4 at 184 mm.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Great find and details. I would have chosen a longer lens to be able to back up more. That way the angle would appear less steep.

Bonnie Block
01-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Like it a lot. I would like a bit more room--and seeing the owls left eye a bit would make it Ideal for me.
I love how the face is softly lit.

Paul Lagasi
01-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Having been to Amherst numerous times..I can appreciate, how lucky you were Rick, I've never seen one in the open like this....nice photo, sharp where it counts, on the face...If we get a nice warm day I might go back for another trip to Amherst....Paul

Daniel Cadieux
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Good open view Rick - as you say they are not easy to stumble upon out in the open. Overall I like it. I just find the face oversharpened, and the gaussian blur (or other pp effect?) outline too obvious. Also a few vertical clone marks above the head. Exposure perfect.