PDA

View Full Version : Background Experiment

Ed Vatza
01-17-2009, 09:00 PM
If you've checked out my images over the months, you know that I prefer nice solid backgrounds (often black) for my flower portraits. After recently watching a Tony Sweet video, I decided I wanted to try something different. I selected a flower for the main subject and placed it in the foreground. Then I put a large bunch of multi-colored flowers in the background separated from the subject by enough distance so that it would be oof while the subject in the foreground would be sharp. I made images from f/4 to f/11 and was generally pleased with the the way this approach worked. But I did learn that I need to take more care in selecting the flowers for the background. I'm not in love with the selection of colors even though they do play off the colors in the Alstroemeria. I keep thinking I either needed more variety or more pastel-y colors.

In any event, I used my 30D, Sigma 150mm macro lens, 430EX Lens w/ LumiQuest Lightbox; Tripod-mounted.

1/10 sec @ f/4; ISO 200; +2 EV; AWB; FEC -1; Incandescent lighting

Julie Kenward
01-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I like the idea of this (and now I know where I got the link to Tony Sweet's site!) I think you're right - that another pallette of BG flowers would have made this even better. I also think moving the stronger color (in this case the maroon/red) up higher, giving it more separation from the pinks would have also worked a little better. As it is, I feel like it's all a little crowded in the frame but I can see where a few tweaks and this would be really beautiful.

I like the overall composition of the two main flowers and the light is really pleasing on those. I do find the foliage in the front plants to be a bit dark - maybe opening those up a bit would make them "match" the softness of the light pink flowers?

Love to see you branching out like this, Ed. You're definitely giving me food for thought!

Anita Bower
01-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Ed:

I think your experiment was wonderful. I congratulate you on trying something new and different. I think the colors of the background work well as they pick up the colors in the flowers. The composition worked well, also.

I think I would like to see the foreground flowers more in focus, which would require a smaller aperture and moving the background flowers further away so they remain blurred.

Which Tony Sweet video did you watch?

Ed Vatza
01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks Julie. Thanks Anita. It's something new for me so I keep experimenting. So far not a whole lot to show for all the experimenting though. I shot a whole series this morning and just dumped the whole thing. I can see in my mind's eye what I want the images to look like. But it's just not translating to digital images yet. But it will... eventually. ;)

Anita, the image I posted here was shot at f/4. I also processed images at f/8 and f/11 but they aren't any better than this one.

The Tony Sweet video I have is "Tony Sweet's Visual Literacy". Quite interesting!

denise ippolito
01-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Ed, I applaud your efforts-I am experimenting everyday! I think you have a good idea and should stick to it! I love Tony Sweet's work-he's one of my favorites.