PDA

View Full Version : Proof Colors

Fernando Cerra
01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi, recently I had to reload Photoshop CS4 in my computer, I don't remember my settings but one issue I'm having is that every time I load an image, I have to go to the View menu and select Proof Colors, if I don't do this, the image looks very warm. For Proof Colors I am using a custom profile, which as I mentioned needs to be loaded for every single image, there should be a way to set up as a permanent preference but I don't know how to do it. Please advice.... Thanks

Fernando Cerra
01-17-2009, 08:24 PM
Playing a bit more with the settings I found out that going to edit > color settings and choosing my monitor profile as the color working space, it allows me to open an image and see it with its original colors...that brings up another question: why make a raw conversion using Adobe RGB if I am not going to use it ? and why when I choose Adobe RGB with Photoshop as default working space my images look so different ?

Ed Cordes
01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't think you should be using monitor calibration colors as the PS color settings. My system loads the colors the image was loaded into PS with. This may be the Adobe RGB or ProPhoto or sRGB that your RAW converter is set to send the image with. PS loads the image after accepting it from your converter. I actually have my monitor set to sRGB as that is all the color space it can handle.

I would be interested to hear what others say. Perhaps I am doing it wrong?

Fernando Cerra
01-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks Ed, I think you are correct, I should be using Adobe RGB, since it will give me more colors for printing, but I am confused by the difference between what I saw on the field and what Adobe RGB is showing in my monitor -it looks warmer-, when I prepare the photos for sharing on the internet using sRGB they look more like reality. Should I go for Adobe RGB eventhough it does not represent reality, just because the wider color gamut ?

Axel Hildebrandt
01-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Is your monitor calibrated? There should be no big difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB.

Ed Cordes
01-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I am still not positive that my input is correct. I do hope one of our experts can chime in. While I have had good results using the info I posted above, like most of us I am still learning as well. On the one hand the monitor profile was created to keep colors in line. On the other hand if Adobe RGB is selected the colors should be displayed accurately as the graphics card has been adjusted to send accurate colors to the monitor. So, CS3 or CS4 will employ the Adobe RGB profile using the color adjustments of our calibration routine.

Both arguments make sense if you look at them long enough. So, while I told you what I do, I am not guaranteeing it is correct. I'll bet we get more input later today.

Fernando Cerra
01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Is your monitor calibrated? There should be no big difference between Adobe RGB and sRGB.

It is calibrated using a software that came with my monitor Samsung SyncMaster932, It is calibrated only using this application that came with the monitor.

Ed Cordes
01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Axel, I also use a Syncmaster Monitor. However, I also use a Gretag/Macbeth EyeOne for calibration. I truly believe this is a must have for accurate color management. I do not and would not rely on the Samsung routine. Set all your monitor settings to factory default, except for brightness. Set the brightness to about 30% or so and run the EyeOne calibration process. It will make a world of difference.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Axel, I also use a Syncmaster Monitor. However, I also use a Gretag/Macbeth EyeOne for calibration. I truly believe this is a must have for accurate color management. I do not and would not rely on the Samsung routine. Set all your monitor settings to factory default, except for brightness. Set the brightness to about 30% or so and run the EyeOne calibration process. It will make a world of difference.

Ed, I agree, using EyeOne Match on my 24 inch iMac monitor and laptop made a big difference, too.

Fernando Cerra
01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Ed and Axel, that must be why I see this big difference.

Fernando Cerra
01-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I just loaded Photoshop CS2 using Adobe RGB for color management, the same settings as CS4, they look very different in my monitor using the same image, with CS2 there is not a big difference between sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Something is wrong with CS4 settings in my PC and I can not find what it is, the color difference between the color spaces is too notorious in one particular image where the background was gray clouds Adobe RGB looks something between yellow and orange.

In this case I don't think it is monitor calibration since CS2 looks ok.

Ed Cordes
01-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Fernando and Axel, As a result of this thread I have been discussing this very question on another forum. The suggestion there was to ensure that he working space in PS matched the color space exported from ACR. This, according to the poster importing an image from ACR tagged with, say, ProPhoto RGB into a PS working space of Adobe RGB or sRGB a "mismatch" will occur. This may cause some artifacts when the image is adjusted that we wouldn't have control over.

So, I will export all ACR images to PS in ProPhoto with a working space of ProPhoto. Then if soft proofing shows too much out of gamut areas I will convert the image to Adobe RGB prior to printing. I will not save it in Adobe RGB however; I will save it in ProPhoto so I always have in my files the largest color space available.

What do you think?

Ed Cordes
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Fernando, our posts overlapped. I have CS3 (with CS4 to be delivered this week) so my only experience is with CS3. The above scenario works for me now.

In CS4 try clearing your preferences for the entire program and starting over. You might also clear your cache as well. Just in case there is some aberrant little monster luring there!!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Ed, good idea to delete all presets.

Fernando, in case you have never done this before, you can try this, it should work in CS4, too:

While holding the Ctrl + Alt + Shift (PC) or Command + Option + Shift (Mac OSX)
Open the application, choose Start > Programs > Photoshop CS2
An Alert box appears, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"
Click Yes.

Fernando Cerra
01-19-2009, 07:48 AM
I am happy to report that the issue has been solved. Yesterday after following Axel recomendation, the color issue showed on both CS2 and CS4, I colsed the computer and went outside with a smile to visit my mother, I always felt the situation would be solved somehow. Early today after reinstalling CS2, it showed a message that the Samsung profile appeared to be corrupt and gave me two options to ignore or tu use it anyway, I selected ignore and the problem went away, same with CS4. Now I'm a happy camper, I can use both. At the end it was the Samsung profile that was causing all the trouble, I need to get my hands on a good calibration device.

Thanks Ed and Axel I really appreciate your inputs and support.

Ed Cordes
01-19-2009, 09:28 AM
Glad we were able to assist.:D

Axel Hildebrandt
01-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm glad you solved the problem.