PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Butterfly?

CliveTonge
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Hello,
I was out enjoying my new lens in June, trying to get nature pictures at Rattray marsh in Mississauga, when I found this butterfly. I don't know what it is. Just pretty.
Shot with Nikon D200, 70 -300 F/4.5-5.6G VR lens at 210mm, f/8, 1/60s,ISO 100, matrix metering handheld.
PP includes filling some light sections of the background, cropping, resizing and sharpening.
Thank you for looking,
Clive

Rene Quenneville
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
beautiful buterfly. Its name is the Mourning Cloak. The head does not seem to be tack sharp. The white in the background also attracts my eye away from the buterfly. Nice picture.

Ed Vatza
01-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Good morning Clive,

It is indeed a pretty butterfly. I think it is pretty sharp from the left wing and holds it well as we move to the right until we get farther out on the right wing. Then it loses its sharpness. Suggests you weren't quite in the proper plane to the butterfly. To me the white spots aren't as distracting as the tangle of green branches on the right. Still a nice image, Clive.

CliveTonge
01-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Thank you Rene and Ed,
I am glad someone could identify it. I had spent a few hours looking at butterflis of Ontario but none of them matched. I was hoping that the lightness in the background was less distracting. I have cloned out bright areas in front and behind the butterfly. I hadn't noticed the triangle near the to, i will have to take it out to.
Take care,
Clive

Valerio Tarone
01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm glad to answer it's a Camberwell Beauty in Britain, this does'nt exclude others names. Scientific:Nimphalis antiopa. It spend hours, in the summer, around willows. I've got:Field guide of the butterflies of Britain.Readers digest nature lovers.

Julie Kenward
01-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I think the reason you've got such a busy BG going is because of the f8 aperture. I would have bumped the ISO up to 200 and cut the aperture in half. I also think the wing on the right is pretty close to the focal plane and for an aperture of f8 I would think you should have been able to catch it...my guess is the shutter speed missed a slight fluttering of the right wing giving it a bit of blur. Again, bumping that ISO would have given you a little more room for speed and possibly frozen that wing with the rest of the critter.

Beautiful butterfly and you got excellent detail in quite a bit of it. Next summer try again with a little more speed and a little less DOF.

CliveTonge
01-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Thank you Jules,
I am not sure if I could have bumped the ISO as my lens isn't al that fast. I definitely will try and add a bit nor speed in the future.
Thank you Valerio, it is interesting to findout that his butterfly has different names in different places.
Take care,
Clive