PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper Warbler

Rich Steel
01-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi

These birds are affectionately known as 'Groppers' here in the UK and are relatively scarce and unfortunately declining fast. I found some locally last spring. Two interesting features of them is that it is very difficult to get a photograph of them on a clean background (although I have got a couple) as I cannot think of bird thats like to stay deep in vegetation more than this species. Secondly their long sustained grasshopper type song actually cannot be heard by older people due to loss of high frequency hearing with age. I found this out when two 50 year old plus bird watchers were trying to locate the while I was out photographing them. 'Can't you hear them?' I asked... but they couldn't and so were unable to locate them. Fortunately I can still hear the 'groppers' so was able to take them to see a bird, with which they were overjoyed. When they do come out to sing, the song is very long and sometimes goes on for 5 minutes or more of continuous grasshopper churring before the dive back deeper into the vegetation.

This photo is one showing a bird in typical habitat in this case a large clump of brambles.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/grop1-1.jpg

Photograph taken handheld with 1Dmk2N and 500mm lens at ISO 160 F5.6 0.33 EV at 1/250s

Cheers

Rich

Jacqui Hendry
01-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Hello Rich

Another excellent photograph with stunning detail of a lovely little bird in it's natural habitat

I found the accompanying information very interesting but I don't think that I have ever heard one I will listen out for them now ;)

I am sure you made the two bird watchers day or most probably their week :)

All the best

Jacqui

Ted Willcox
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Very sharp image, incredible feather detail,nice lighting. You must have been rock solid to get this image handholding a 500mm lens.
Yours in Wildness
Ted

Axel Hildebrandt
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Great details and singing pose. It might be a bit oversharpened. Some birds just don't like clean BGs. This seems to be one of them. :)

Glenn Bartley
01-22-2008, 12:05 AM
The pose and bird look awesome. I guess I would prefer a cleaner Bg but this one is pretty nice as is.

Del Cockroft
01-22-2008, 06:09 AM
As ever, Rich, you have yet another winner. Beautiful capture and handheld, too.

PS. Not all 50+ year olds lose high frequency hearing.!!!!!!

Rich Steel
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for your replies and comments. I admit it may have been a bit of a generalisation saying that over 50's cannot hear grassshopper warblers but certainly those of advanced aged do struggle with them.

Cheers

Rich

Ron van Rossum
01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Beautiful composition,Rich!
This is just the way I Ilike to see these birds;hidden ;)

Well done,Ron

Anita Rakestraw
01-23-2008, 02:01 AM
Rich, this is a gorgeous image and thanks for the interesting information and story! Cleaner backgrounds usually look better, but in this case, I really really like the background and the colors are really nice. The only change I would wish for is the absence of that one out of focus branch that more or less outlines his back or topline. Overall, very very nice image!