PDA

View Full Version : Worn Glass

Mike Fuhr
01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Here's another one of the pictures I took on the sandbar trip a few weeks ago. This one is a little different, but I like the contrast associated with the gravel and the glass. The diagonal line of sand makes it for me. As always, comments welcome.

Nikon D50
18-55 mm
F/18
1/100
ISO 200
Hand held

Julie Kenward
01-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Mike, if nothing else, your sandbar series has really been a great way to learn good composition. You've put all the details in the right spot in every one of this series. The diagonal line leads your eye right to the glass and then you see that texture compared to the sand and pebbles...nicely done!

Again, the overall image is a little dark - I think learning Photoshop and being able to tweak those midlevel and lower level tones would really enhance your photographs more than you can imagine. I really encourage you to take that step - even with Photoshop Elements you get the levels adjustment and it can make such a difference to texture and pattern when you can manipulate it by tone.

Mike Fuhr
01-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks Jules. I plan on doing that. I also have noticed that everything looks different on my mac as compared to my PC monitor at work. On my Mac, its nice and bright. It's a bit frustrating.

Ed Vatza
01-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Good eye Mike. I would probably just have tramped over the sandbar and kept looking for something to shoot. I do agree with Jules on this one. You are finding interesting compositions in the "mundane" and I mean that in a positive way.

I also share your frustration with different looks from different computers. Right now I am surrounded by three computers - a new iMac, a laptop PC and an old desktop PC. Images look different on all three. Guess that's what calibration is all about!:o