PDA

View Full Version : Greater Scaup display behavior

Krijn Trimbos
01-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Taken some weeks ago together with Jasper, when space for these ducks was limited because of a long period of frost here in the Netherlands. We found a terrific place for ducks, where this male scaup was showing off his neck colours for the females. Cloned out a distracting reflection of another duck in the BG.

Hope you like it,

Canon EOS 50D 1/1300 f6.3 Manual
ISO 400
Canon 300mm L USM F2.8 + 1.4 Converter
M501HSV, G1325

Axel Hildebrandt
01-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Great angle, pose and details. I might try to get more details in the shadows.

Krijn Trimbos
01-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Axel,

Thanks for your comment. I have tried getting more detail out of the blacks (at the base of the neck) for web presentation, but there is just not that much there. In the TIFF there is still a little detail present. Also that part of the duck is a pretty smooth area so there isn't that much detail to begin with any way. Also I have found that in a certain angle with the light the detail just disapears in that area, it is like with the goldeneye's irredencence on the head (even with a very good light angle the top always loses its detail).

Thanks again for your comment though.

Cheers,

Krijn

Jerry van Dijk
01-17-2009, 04:00 AM
Hey Krijn, nicely done! I just love the expression you captured here. Excecution is perfect as always. I like your composition with the beak pointing exactly in the UL corner.