PDA

View Full Version : Shaking

Rosl Roessner
01-21-2008, 12:53 PM
After fishing the kingfisher always shakes his body to get rid of the water.
I tried to create a pleasing picture of that. It wasn't that easy, because he often closes his eyes or has the white membrane over his eyes. Often the head is in a bad angle or it is too sharp or not sharp enough.
This was my best result of the "shaking-pictures".
I had not a big chance for very different shutter-speeds, because it was rainy and very cloudy. I would love to have some with 1250 sec or less.... but how do you think about the slow shutter speed and the whole picture?

Mark III Canon 500 / 4 IS
f 6.3 to get enough dof / 1/400 sec. / ISO 1600

Thank you for looking and commenting....
Rose

Axel Hildebrandt
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
I think it works since the head is in focus and sharp. You really had some bad weather on your trip. :(

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Rosl -
I agree with Axel , i like the photo
A few suggestions:
-the head/beak could use another round of sharpening as could branch with feet using a mask layer
( i masked in the areas, then Select Modify Contract by 1 pixel , and then USM (100 .3 4)
- add a catch-light to eye
-crop a bit tighter
Sort of shown below although the head may be slightly oversharpened
Nice effort under miserable conditions

David Dilworth
01-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Boy, this system times out too quickly. I loose more posts because I like to think things through a bit. Anyway. I like the composition of this photo and the background. I don't really like Peter's suggestions, but that's a matter of preference. I would apply as much post processing sharpening as I could to this photo without producing noise. Other than that I don't see what you can do. The lighting conditions did not allow you to bump up the shutter speed to freeze the action. It's just one of those things. Sometimes our memory is the only thing we photographers walk away with. I bet it was fun to watch, and hey, the photo is good enough to remind you of the moment! Oh, I also like the water droplets flying off the bird.