PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Amberwing

Don Lacy
01-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Now that the Dragons are gone until spring I guess I am going to have to find some new Macro subjects:) but until I do here is an Eastern Amberwing I had hiding in my files.

30D, 300 f/4 + 1.4TC + 25mm Ext Tube, 1/50s at f/9, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered -1/3, 550EX Flash -1 2/3 +Diffuser,ISO 400, Raw,Tripod, Cloned out a OOF brach on the left and added canvas to the right for Comp.

Aristotle Georgiou
01-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Fantastic image Don!

Great lighting, lovely BG which complements the DF, nice perch and good detail.

Being highly critical, I would sharpen the DF a touch and cropping a little from the left would balance this image nicely.

Well done!!!

Julie Kenward
01-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Beautiful image, Don! Might I suggest when you go out to photograph these next spring, play around with the stem being more on a diagonal, giving the insect room to spread out across the entire frame.

Other than that comment, I have little to say. I think your details are good - the DF could be a bit sharper but it's nice as presented. You might also play with tweaking the BG to be just a hair lighter...but that's personal preference.

Well done! Thanks for sharing this with us!

Ed Vatza
01-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Your repost here looks excellent to me. The d-fly now looks very sharp to the point of being just on the cusp of being oversharpened but its not. The background is beautiful. Nice job, Don.