PDA

View Full Version : blue jay

Rene Quenneville
01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
This picture was taken a few weeks ago. The jay was in the feeder. I did this crop in order to clean-up the scene and to give a different view. Please give me your comments.What do you feel about such a crop ration and composition?
The strange patterns in the chest feathers are not due to poor cloning; it is just the way it was!
iso 640
1/640 s
f/8
420 mm (300mm +1.4 tc)
fill flash

Stefan Minnig
01-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Rene,

Beautiful capture. I'm a big fan of jays. I like the BG and I don't mind the crop on bottom. I maybe would add a little to the top to give the bird some room.

Stefan

Axel Hildebrandt
01-16-2009, 12:42 AM
I like the eye contact and details. The bird looks a bit overflashed and you mentioned the repetitive patterns in the plumage. I don't mind the crop but the bright spots in the BG are distracting.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi

I would probably prefer a slightly tighter crop off bothe sides. I also find the bright spots in the background are taking away the focus from a wonderful subject. :)

Steve Canuel
01-16-2009, 03:00 AM
The horizontal comp looks ok to me. I think I'd like to see a little more of the chest but I don't know if that would make me want to see even more, eventually leading to a desire to see the whole body (well that sounds bad doesn't it :)). As for the white spot in the BG, the main thing bothering me about that, is that the BG color behind him goes so well with his color, that I'd like to see the whole BG that way.