PDA

View Full Version : Which hummingbird?

wendell westfall
01-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I took this picture recently in Southern California, in brush near a wetlands area. I presume it is a hummingbird, but what kind? I've had guesses of Costa's and Anna's. Bird ID is not my strong suit.

Thanks,
Wendell

Paul Lagasi
01-15-2009, 10:23 PM
From what I see in this photo, I'd have to call this one an Anna's...the little bit of white at back of eye, little green showing on back of head, thin bill......Paul

Dan Brown
01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi Wendell, I too think this is Anna's Hummingbird and not Costa's. The gorget color looks good to me for Anna's, but the main field mark for me is that the gorget doesn't extend far enough down the side of the body for Costa's.

Rich Swanner
01-16-2009, 02:21 AM
That shot is when Annas males dip their head. It gives off a iridescent flash. This is a regular side shot.... http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/blackies_owner/IMG_0246-1Largecopy.jpg

Wayne Richardson
01-18-2009, 05:25 AM
The field guides, e.g. Sibley, depict adult male Anna's with red gorget & Costa's with purple gorget. My own images of Anna's also show this feature.

However, that said, the structure of Wendall's hummer is very good for Anna's. Note the straight bill & tail extending well beyond wing tips. Some have already mentioned other Anna's ID features & I see there is no suggestion of a white chest (a Costa's characteristic) immediately below the gorget either.

While Rich's hummer is an immature male, I agree that both images on this thread are Anna's!

Cheers: Wayne

wendell westfall
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks, guys . . . so Anna's it is!