PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron

Robert Strickland
01-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Green Heron Photo shot with EOS 40D, 1/400, F7.1, ISO 640, lens EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS

Tony Whitehead
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice focused heron pose and good use of DOF to cover the subject. You have some clipped highlights which I think may be related to oversharpening and oversaturation a little. The file is in Adobe RGB which makes the colours look very saturated when it is opened in a colour managed environment like Photoshop and may make this web post look different from what you saw when working on it - it is best to convert to sRGB for posting. I would crop a little from above to eliminate the bright area at the top and clone out some of the bright spots on the water. Looking forward to more of your images.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
I echo Tony's comments. Like the wonderful green heron pose you captured in this image Robert and look forward to your future posts.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
The guys above suggested some great little tips for post processing. I agree wholeheartedly. It is always better to try and get the bird to look in your direction. You did manage quite well though and it's a great effort! Keep up the good work! :)

Raymond Barlow
01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
that is a wonderful shot, try backing off the sharpening a but, and sRGB is better for web processing.. if you have the Raw file, you can really do some nice work with this image., as Tony suggests.

Robert Strickland
01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice focused heron pose and good use of DOF to cover the subject. You have some clipped highlights which I think may be related to oversharpening and oversaturation a little. The file is in Adobe RGB which makes the colours look very saturated when it is opened in a colour managed environment like Photoshop and may make this web post look different from what you saw when working on it - it is best to convert to sRGB for posting. I would crop a little from above to eliminate the bright area at the top and clone out some of the bright spots on the water. Looking forward to more of your images.

I used to take [ictures withthe camera set on sRGB and have done well. But after reading up on better photos i switched to Adobe RGB. I was wondering why my photos looked different when i processed them. Now i Know. I will change my photo to sRGB. Thanks for the tip.

Tony Whitehead
01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I used to take [ictures withthe camera set on sRGB and have done well. But after reading up on better photos i switched to Adobe RGB. I was wondering why my photos looked different when i processed them. Now i Know. I will change my photo to sRGB. Thanks for the tip.
Fine to work in AdobeRGB as it has a wider gamut but just convert to sRGB when saving a version for web display (or printing, depending on your print shop requirements). If you shoot in RAW if doesn't matter what your camera is set for as you can choose the colour space when opening the file in your RAW processor. Changing to sRGB just needs to be a step in your workflow in preparing an image for web presentation.