PDA

View Full Version : Great Grey Owl

Mike Robinson
01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Going through my old files from 2007 deleting images when I found this image and decided to convert it in LR2. In 2007 I found and photographed so many GGO's that I had hundreds of images, whereas last year I didn't see a single specimen in YNP.
Canon 1DM2N, 500f4, Iso 400, 1/250 @f4, Gitzo

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Beautifully presented Mike. If anything a little more head turn to show the left eye better would be awesome. Funny, I cannot see the talons hanging onto that gorgeous perch. :)

Steve Large
01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Mike,
Great feather detail and nice background. We don't ever get any of these guys out my way (Vancouver Island). The closest one that I have heard of here was in the lower main land of British Columbia. Nice shot.

Steve

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Stunning presentation Mike with a wonderful pose and great eye contact and BG. It looks a tad over sharpened on my monitor. Congratulations on a superb image. Wish it were mine as well as the pygmy owl of yours. :)

Daniel Cadieux
01-15-2009, 10:05 PM
A agree it looks somewhat oversharpened...and perhaps a wee bit too light? I'm not used to seeing these guys so light, maybe it's just the individual but I still think darkening it a bit would work well. Great perch and BG. The dusting of snow on the perch is a nice touch :-)

Fabs Forns
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, I've never even seen one, end of the year, save one for me ;)

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I also find your image a bit over sharpened.
The color of feathers could also need a bit of darkening or contrast, I tried, but since this is an unknown species for me, I just played with curves a litttle, hope you don't mind.

Perch, background, light and subject are great. Congrats on such a GGO!

Mark Schmitt
01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
One bird I'd love to get an image of some day. There used to be several of them last year; not so many this year. The composition is good over-all. Nice perch and BG. Have to agree, though: it is a bit over sharpened.