PDA

View Full Version : Gulfoss in winter

Tom Dolezal
01-15-2009, 02:13 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3064-Edit-2.jpg

A winter view of the Gulfoss waterfall, Iceland

Larger image here (http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3064b-Edit-2.jpg)

C&C welcome

Technical: Canon 5D, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye,, ISO 400, f/9, 1/200, 0 EV

Thanks for looking

Paul Marcellini
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
wow, what a view. I want to get up there sometime. I like the flow of the comp and the color contrasts work really well. Is this a crop from the fisheye shot?

Tom Dolezal
01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
wow, what a view. I want to get up there sometime. I like the flow of the comp and the color contrasts work really well. Is this a crop from the fisheye shot?

Thanks Paul for your comments -much appreciated.

A crop top & bottom only.

Tom

Robert Amoruso
01-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Tom,

Very cool. Remember that you can post 1024x800 and that is really helpful for the panos.

I like how you positioned the falls to the right as it makes for a good left to right flow of the falls. The clouds work well to add interest in the sky. If you cropped at the bottom, try adding some back as the falls at its lowest point inthe view seems a bit tight to me.

Tom Dolezal
01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Tom,

Very cool. Remember that you can post 1024x800 and that is really helpful for the panos.

I like how you positioned the falls to the right as it makes for a good left to right flow of the falls. The clouds work well to add interest in the sky. If you cropped at the bottom, try adding some back as the falls at its lowest point inthe view seems a bit tight to me.

Many thanks Robert - very much appreciate your comments and suggestion.

Does this 1024 crop work better for you?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/IMG_3064-Edit-2-1.jpg

Tom

Dave Mills
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I prefer the additional room at the bottom....

Tom Dolezal
01-18-2009, 05:52 AM
I prefer the additional room at the bottom....

Thanks for your comments Dave - much appreciated.

Tom

David Kennedy
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi, Tom,
Overall, it feels a little too dark. I do wonder if boosting the midtones in the foreground/land surrounding the waterfalls wouldn't help a bit? Even the waterfalls might benefit from a slight midtone lightening to make them "pop" a bit more.

Cheers,
David

Tom Dolezal
01-20-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi, Tom,
Overall, it feels a little too dark. I do wonder if boosting the midtones in the foreground/land surrounding the waterfalls wouldn't help a bit? Even the waterfalls might benefit from a slight midtone lightening to make them "pop" a bit more.

Cheers,
David

Thank you David for your comments.

Daylight in Iceland at that time of year is only 3-4 hours per day and due to the latitude of Iceland the sun's position at that time is only just above the horizon. Therefore sunlight is hitting this scene from a horizontal from the right and not vertically from above.

Because of this horizontal light and also low light levels there is always going to be a slight 'darkness' look. The light level shown in the image does very much represent the light on the day. I would suggest that it is very much down to personal taste as to wether to illustrate the actual scene or to illustrate what you would like to see in the scene. My preference is is for the former.

Tom